SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-11-17, 07:06 AM   #91
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Project: 500GP

No, what could possibly go wrong.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 07:28 AM   #92
maviczap
Mega Poster

No it makes a nice coffee table

Good job it wasn't s Z1300 or a CBX
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 08:31 AM   #93
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
No it makes a nice coffee table

Good job it wasn't s Z1300 or a CBX
Or a goldwing

Or a blackbird

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 12:57 PM   #94
andy650

The Gags were never imported officially, I only remember seeing the YSR50 and the RG50 in this country.

Still see them up Box Hill occasionally, but a rare sight in the 90's, even rarer now.......
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 05:37 PM   #95
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Oi SH

Get cracking

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-18, 12:42 AM   #96
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Well it looks like I haven't been working on the bike, and well yes that is correct. However in my defence I have had a reasonable reason that will all become clear in a later update. In summary there are a few things that I haven't posted about, but a lot of my spare time has been taken up with something else that will eventually enable progress here.

Just to tease you a little, footpegs were sourced, but didn't meet my standards, things are afoot as above. The petrol tank went from idea number 1 to idea number 2, followed closely by number 3 that was purchased but is likely not to be used, and then idea 4 which was then made to my specification. This requires further modification as part of that idea, but when coupled with the fairings idea 5 has been spawned, though I'm not sure this will be what I want.

In simple terms, fairings, footpegs, petrol tank, induction, and controls are all that remains to do. Less than an afternoons work for someone who knows what they are doing. Might take me a little longer then...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 01:20 AM   #97
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Right bit of a gap in progress again. That wasn't exactly planned. What I intended to do was to update with what had taken my time with the first gap in progress and just as I was about to something else happened which has taken a fair bit of my time. However both of these events will enable me to progress with this build.

Thats all rather cryptic I admit, I just like building the suspense. And I would explain, but I have discovered that there are a couple of little things that I added to the bike without providing a write up. So here we go again then.

When I took the hubs to be stripped of paint I took a couple of other little bits with me as I intended to refresh them. One of these bits was the side stand. I put this to one side for a bit while I did the wheels and pulled the frame together. I was just intending to repaint the stand but when I picked it up I nearly slipped a disc due to the weight so I had an idea, I grabbed a bit of 32mm aluminium rod and headed down to the Makerspace.

The first step was to turn part of the rod down to 18mm and put a shoulder on it to blend it to the 32mm outer. Then it was onto the mill to flatten out a seat for the bolt and to mill a channel for the frame to slip into. Next it was a simple task to drill and tap a thread for the bolt.

I needed to round the corner of the top of the stand so that it would miss the spring pin on rotation and this was achieved with a corner rounding end mill. All that remained was to cut the stand to length at the correct angle and create a foot from a small bit of plate before turning my attention to the kick bar and the spring retainer. These were slightly more complicated to make as they needed a ball rounding attachment for the lathe.

The final step was to weld the 4 pieces together. Unfortunately this isn't something I could do so shipped them off to the chap who helped with my TZR250 crankcase who did a wonderful job of sticking the bits together.

Now that all sounded rather simple. But I'm far to honest, it was a lot of hard work. It was somewhere in the region of 40 hours work at the lathe and mill along with 5 attempts at it as I tried different tools and techniques. But I'm pleased with the results. Its not perfect, I think the angle is out by a degree or two, some of the rounding could be better as I wasn't successful with a rotary table, and the stand is over engineered as its solid but its still a good weight saving and a cool little custom part that I've made.

However I think this is on the limit of what the little 3-in-1 machine can do...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 07:52 AM   #98
garynortheast
Mega Poster

That's a very nice looking piece SH!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 08:34 AM   #99
Othen

Wow! How cool is this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-19, 09:49 AM   #100
Othen

This is such a cool project, I’ve just read the whole thread whilst eating my breakfast at the Samuel Lloyd and waiting for a car to be serviced - I enjoyed it all. I might read the TZR thread next.

This was first class, well done.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk