SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-11-14, 09:48 AM   #61
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Default Re: Supervox Down :-( ... But Not Out :-)

Trike next then lol

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-14, 11:28 AM   #62
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post

The other thing that has been playing on my mind is the look on the boys faces when they saw me lying in A & E - something I never want to see again or for them to have to experience.

So, we'll just have to see what the future brings.
Yes this is a big thing

Younger kids make it harder.
But equally you have to be hard on yourself and weight up your enjoyment, practical use of the car /public transport.
And playing devil's advocate, What could you have done to reduce the likelihood of a future incident.
That's something only you can awnser.
But we're respect your decision what ever it is.

Personally I have enjoyed the rideouts you have organised and would miss them.
Take your time and get fit soon
Old 17-11-14, 12:08 PM   #63
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

The kids will be shocked at first, then they will start telling their mates how cool their dad is because he's got really clever metal in his shoulder and proper scars and he's basically bionic!
Old 17-11-14, 12:27 PM   #64
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

The twins wanted me to ask the surgeon if he'd record the surgery for them so they could watch it later!!

Now, having seen the dressing I have covering the wound, they are disapppointed at how small it is - "...it won't be a very large scar then will it Dad?"
Old 17-11-14, 01:14 PM   #65
jambo
Mega Poster

Glad to see you're on the mend.

Give yourself some time to recover and think through what suits you and the family. Ideally that'll be another bike, but that's a choice for you guys to make yourselves. I remember my dad breaking his leg on a CB250 having decided it was a good shout to use it on ungritted roads in the winter. As a kid I just accepted he had a cast for a bit, the idea it could have been any more serious I don't think crossed my mind, but I was younger than the twins are now.

In either case wait until the shoulder's right before seeing how you feel as the last thing you want to do is buy a bike that doesn't suit you and then not feel able to enjoy it.

If it helps any when I started riding I was one of the least quick of the group I knew and I was the most keen to wear half decent gear. This is because all my family rode bikes and I knew it was inherently dangerous and should be approached with respect. Carrying on riding may not be a bad thing for the boys to see you do, but again, that's entirely your choice

Heal quick!

Jambo
Old 17-11-14, 03:54 PM   #66
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Having been told initially that I may never regain full movement in my arm after my accident I was expecting to never be able to get it fully straight. But physio and stubborness are marvellous things. The metalwork bothered me so I asked for it to be taken out, but I think in most cases these days it's left in, and airport scanners don't even set it off. It was probably Gail's reaction that scared the kids more than anything. Seeing mum upset is frightening for kids.
Old 17-11-14, 04:17 PM   #67
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I can understand the twins reaction because of the things you described to us recently with Gail, and being a mum always have such things at the back of my mind when either myself or Pete goes out.....

However, I know somebody whose got bigger scars than you and more metal and less leg and was told he might not walk etc etc ner ner ner ner ner he got on an even bigger bike when he couldn't even walk with sticks........

Joking aside, we hope to see you next month, and maybe you will be at least able to laugh a bit more than last time.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-14, 09:38 PM   #68
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

At least you fell off a proper bike!

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30122767
Old 20-11-14, 10:49 AM   #69
christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
Now, having seen the dressing I have covering the wound, they are disapppointed at how small it is - "...it won't be a very large scar then will it Dad?"
Haha. This was my exact reaction after my accident! I was stupidly disappointed that the scar on my forearm is so small/clean.

Fingers crossed your shoulder/arm heals well and physio restores movement to a suitable level. I've had nothing but bad experiences with NHS physios, so I hope you have better luck, or better still, a medical plan that covers private physios (which I should have used sooner rather than bearing with the NHS ones!).
Old 20-11-14, 12:20 PM   #70
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Hmm while I said earlier about physio being the key to my ultimately very positive outcome, what Jon knows but others reading this won't is that I am lucky enough to share an office with 3 superb sports physios who saw me almost daily. They really bullied me. But I love them for it. Definitely worth paying to see a good physio if funds allow. I'll find out if they are making another series of Splash. That's not as random as it sounds! I'm not suggesting Jon gets his Speedos on! But my guys do the physio work on the show which is filmed near Southend.