SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 27-02-06, 07:19 PM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Dorset Somerset Rideout Ideas, Date 16th September

I've had my thinking cap on for a while about a rideout in my neck of the woods.

Rather than disappearing off into Devon like I did last year, this years Extravaganza is going to be more Dorset / Somerset based.

So this is what I'm thinking of so far

Meet up at Podimore Services, where the A37 and A303 meet, this about an hour from Bristol or an hour from Sailsbury depends where you are coming from

Map here

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_h...YeovilPodimore

Theres lots of parking here, a little chef, fuel, and also a travelodge if you want to ride down the night before and have somewhere to stay.

This is the sort of route I'm thinking.

From Podimore, quick blast down the A303 pick up the A359 to Crewkerne,

then follow the A356 into Dorchester

From Dorchester follow the A352 through Cerne Abbas and then towards Sherborne

( Dr Rich, Term and Haxsaw I took you along these roads last year on the Bridport Coast rideout, also those of you that did my route last year around Devon road the first bit of this route, on the way back to Podimore )

Follow the A3030 and then the A357 through Sturminster Newton and then before Blandford at Durweston ( I think ) turn left at the bridge over the River Stour and then the A350 through Stourpaine, Compton Abbas to Shaftesbury. ( nice and twisty like you wouldnt believe, I ride this quite regularly and its )

From Shaftesbury, follow the B3081 towards Tollard Royal, taking in the famous "Zig Zag" recently named as the twistiest road in Britain, also mention in this months Ride magazine top 10 rideout sections of road. ( again another regular haunt of mine, bit narrow in places but otherwise twisty and fun )

This will bring us out on Cranborne chase, where we can pick up the fast A354 to Sailsbury. Then from Sailsbury pick up the A30 and follow it back to Sherborne and then back to Podimore where everybody should have easy dispersal home from there. ( another regular haunt, the A354 is fast and straight, though has some police prescense sometimes, the A30 is a regular road for me as its the Liz and I use to travel between either other houses in the summer or when its dry, fast and straight in places but twisty and technical in others )

I'll need to check the milleage and maybe refine the route a tad as Sailsbury in particular can be tricky to navigate through especially if the traffics heavy.

I'm thinking we have the Welsh Way Round III in may, and then AR06 in July which leaves either April or August as having not much planned for. Dont forget some of us and doing Jelsters North / South run in June so thats probably out as far as I'm concerned.

I dont think April is going to leave me enough time to plan this and sort the route out, As the weather is pants at the moment and also I'm busy the next few weekends with work commitments. So I think August looks more favourable.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions as per usual ridicule invited

I'll plan in a tea break stop and a lunch stop and also another afternoon stop. If its more than a tankful I'll incorporate a fuel stop in to.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-06, 07:28 PM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dorset Somerset Rideout Ideas, possibly in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
I've had my thinking cap on for a while.....
Hope you were sitting down.

Quote:
as per usual ridicule invited
Well you did ask for it.

"May" be up for this. Depends if I can get yet another ride out pass from Mrs Scoobs.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-06, 07:30 PM   #3
valleyboy

Aye, will be up for this.. no rain this time please I got stuck in the mother of all traffic jams on the M5 last time, and was too scared to filter as there were a few cars infront of me playing lane change at any oppertunity! So ended up missing you lot by a few minutes from the services... put waterproofs on, and it pelted down.. all the way from the services back to my house in Aberdare...

And as my waterproofs had ridden up over the top of my boots, I had some nice lovely full of water boots to attempt to take off when I got home! and had to negotiate the mother of all traffic jams part two on the way home... except now I wasnt in the mood to stay put!

At least I think it was that one...
Old 27-02-06, 09:39 PM   #4
Haxsaw

Gotta say, many of the roads Fizz mentions were pretty sweet. I'm gonna try and be there.
Old 28-02-06, 12:02 AM   #5
thepyrofish

Sounds like a great idea, finally a meet I can get to! Either April or August would be good, but the weather's likely to be nicer in August. Some good roads there too, especially the zig zag hill road, really nice ride over the hills
Old 28-02-06, 12:16 AM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Have you been over the Zig Zag recently ? I did a few weeks back, Cor the road surface is diabolical once you get over the top of it.

Old 28-02-06, 09:40 AM   #7
tee jey

Default Re: Dorset Somerset Rideout Ideas, possibly in August

Quote:

I dont think April is going to leave me enough time to plan this and sort the route out, As the weather is pants at the moment and also I'm busy the next few weekends with work commitments. So I think August looks more favourable.
Definitely up for this one Fizz however........................ August is prime holiday season , would you get a better response in september?

The Zig Zag is postively dangerous after heavy rain, gravel and cr*p all over the bends. However don't be put off by this, it's an inspiring ride
Old 28-02-06, 09:42 AM   #8
anna
Mega Poster

I agree August is already looking pretty booked for me so it is doubtful I will be able to make it unless it is towards the end of august 19th onwards or September?
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-06, 09:51 AM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Happy to be flexible on dates, so we could certainly plan this for September if that makes it more accessable for everybody.

Old 28-02-06, 10:25 AM   #10
silent

im up for this as i should be free!

cheers

andy