SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-04-09, 05:27 PM   #1
Stradders

Default To Ride Fast or Not To Ride Fast, That is the Question?

Fellow Riders.

Please excuse this post as I think it might be a long one. However, I do think it has a possible lesson for new and experienced riders alike and maybe some others there can share my experience. I’d be interested to hear from you. Here goes.

I am 46, and I passed my DA in Aug 07 (2nd time). I bought my SV650 in Sep 07 and since then I have done about 2000 miles. I didn't ride much last year as I was out of the country quite a lot, but since the beginning of March I have had the bike out as much as I can, mostly on the ride to work and back. However, on Saturday I decided (after a quick trip into town) to go for a ride. Not too far, only about 80 miles in total (peanuts to some of the people I know but one of the longest rides I have done so far). By my own admission I am not very quick as I am still getting the confidence levels up and I would be the first to admit that I am not the fastest on the roads. However, I am happy in myself and I love being out on the bike.

The weather was GORGEOUS and the scenery was absolutely stunning. The first half of the ride was about 40 miles to Grantown on Spey over the Forres road, and although it was very windy I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was quite happy to sit behind the traffic (which was doing a steady 65 -70 anyway) and enjoy the views. I arrived in Grantown, had a quick sandwich and a drink and was just about to start up for the return home when I met a mate on his new RSV. He is a nice guy and it is a lovely bike. We had a quick chat and he asked if I fancied a ride back with him. I mentioned that I was not very quick, but that if he was prepared to tag along with an 'old bloke' then I would love to have him as company.

We set off and I led the way, feeling full of the joys and feeling very comfortable with my riding. Without wishing to incriminate myself I felt I was doing a decent speed and not holding my mate up too much. However, after about 5 minutes he zoomed past me and then proceeded to show me a clean pair of heels for about the next 25 miles or so. I knew at the time that I should have just let him go, but the devil on my shoulder told me that I was doing OK and that it wouldn't be that hard to catch up and stay with him. There then followed about 15 - 20 minutes of the most adrenalin charged biking I have ever done as I tried to catch up with him, and then stay with him. I thought I was doing OK, but for anyone who has read anything by Keith Code, I was significantly over-spending on my $10. I knew I was working hard but to be honest I was quite enjoying it.

Then came the heart-stopper. I braked a tiny bit too late for a right hander and came within milli-seconds of having a massive off. Having sat and thought about it since, I still have no idea how I managed to avoid crashing and I can only put it down to a huge amount of luck (because I have almost no ability) and that fact that Saturday just obviously wasn't my time to go. I slowed right down for the rest of the ride, but even then I still had another moment or two going round some tight bends. It was as if I had lost the ability to do anything except ride in a straight line. My limited confidence, that had taken so long to build up, was now all gone, and although I was now riding and using only a few cents of ability I was still rubbish. I eventually caught up with my 'mate' and apologised for the delay, then explained that I needed to get back and that I would text him when I got home.

In the text I thanked him for the ride, apologised for my lack of speed and said that I would speak to him soon. He replied and said that anytime I wanted to go for a ride to give him a buzz and that the only way to get good is to get plenty of time in the saddle and to ride with people faster than yourself. Having nearly come to grief on Saturday, I am now convinced that riding with people faster than yourself (and trying to keep up with them) is the only way to get dead.

The point I think I am trying to make in this long-winded rambling is three-fold really.

1, Please, whatever you do, don't be pressurised into riding above your ability or confidence. I scared myself S***less on Saturday, and despite 2 days of STUNNING weather, the bike has stayed in the garage. I will go out on it again, but it will be on my own and I won’t be stupidly tempted to chase someone who is obviously better then me.

2, So what if you ride slowly. Who actually cares? Be proud to admit that maybe Valentino has nothing to fear from you. Enjoy your riding, enjoy the views, enjoy the atmosphere of being in one of the best clubs known to man and above all, arrive alive (and preferably with a smile on your face)

3, If you are Valentino, please be a bit more aware of your friend’s abilities. I have had so many occasions where people I know have told me how to ride faster, have given me tips on how to get my knee down, or who have given me advice on how to go corner faster or brake later. Please stop. I know you mean well, but I am quite happy.
This might sound like a pathetic whining from someone who has no talent or who seems ungrateful. Wrong. It is a plea from someone who loves what he does and is happy to accept that there are a lot of people out there who are better than me. I don’t wish to seem unappreciative. I just want to enjoy my riding without scaring myself to death.

I am a member of two bike clubs, one at work and one in the local area. The work one is full of guys on Superbikes and big Sportsbikes, all with scuffed knee sliders and small chicken strips. The local club is full of really nice people who just go out for the fun of it and who enjoy the experience. There are no rules on speed or ability. The only rule of membership is that you need a bike. I know which subscription I am going to renew first next year.

There have been a lot of bike accidents in Scotland so far this year, with the sad loss of a number of lives. My condolences and sympathies to the family and friends of all of those who are no longer with us. I consider myself quite lucky to not be amongst them.

Please ride safe and have a great 2009.

Stradders.
Old 13-04-09, 05:32 PM   #2
Frank

Default Re: To Ride Fast or Not To Ride Fast, That is the Question?

The above is obviously written by someone blessed with great wisdom
Old 13-04-09, 05:36 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I can tell you are 46,as thats one of the most sensible posts Ive read in a long time.Ride your own ride says the voice of experience.
Old 13-04-09, 05:38 PM   #4
Woz

A valuable lesson learned. Unfortunately, biking is full of people who are too competitive and all too willing to try and prove they are faster than you. Fortunately, there are just as many who just want to enjoy themselves without putting anyone else at risk.

If your 'mate's' idea of a good ride is dragging you behind at speeds you're not comfortable with, bin him.
Old 13-04-09, 05:40 PM   #5
Stradders

Gid.

It's only written with wisdom after the event. Wasn't it Oscar Wilde that said only a fool learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from other peoples. I just hope others can learn from what was very nearly a very painful afternoon out.
Old 13-04-09, 05:42 PM   #6
Stradders

Biggles and Woz. Thanks for the comments. I have certainly learnt my lesson and I will be a bit more circumspect when I ride with others in the future.

Have a great year.
Old 13-04-09, 05:42 PM   #7
ThEGr33k

Very well written Stradders!

I try to (especially after my only damaging mistake in the dark) only ride fast on roads I know very well, and only on Corners with good view of the exit. Nothing worse than going around a blind bend, especially one you dont know and find something you dont expect there!

Glad you know your limits and are happy to stick to them. Fair play imo.

Take care out there and enjoy yourself!

P.S. You can ride faster following someone its true. But if you are on a lesser bike then its pretty dangerous unless like I say you know the road well, well enough to judge your own maneuvre's...
Old 13-04-09, 05:53 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Ride fast or ride slow just don't try to ride like someone else.
Old 13-04-09, 06:56 PM   #9
Jamiebridges123

Indeed.

As I've been told, ride to arrive.

Just stay commited and you'll be fine, if you panic and break then you're going to crash. 90% of the time you'll make a corner if you stay commited.

Last edited by Jamiebridges123; 13-04-09 at 07:01 PM.
Old 13-04-09, 07:15 PM   #10
Sean_C

That's the kind of wisdom I've gained after coming off twice in a so far short biking career. I was riding as hard as I could a lot of the time, which is clearly a recipe for disaster given my lack of skills at the time.

This time I'm building up slowly, working on my observation and machine control like I should have done originally, and I'm getting there. I'm quite happy going along at whatever speed I do, be it slow or fast, and riding within your comfort zone makes for a much more enjoyable ride.