SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-03-16, 11:50 AM   #1
Janda

Default MOT

Hello every1,
need to do MOT next month and need advice about the REG angle.Never done MOT so have no idea how strict they are.Have done tailtide but UK reg is just massive will this pass? Thanks

GO GO GO
Old 19-03-16, 01:09 PM   #2
prokartman

Default Re: MOT

You do not appear to have a rear reflector which would be an MOT failure in itself . Never had an issue with number plate angle using either R&G , Hamicad or Evotech tail tidies , may be an idea to compress rear suspension to its max and position the plate to just miss the tyre by adjusting the angle then you have the max angle but no rubbing or contact issues . You will also need a rear number plate light . It does look a bit high from the picture ...
prokartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 01:15 PM   #3
RPM

Quote:
(4) Except as provided in paragraph (3) the plate must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (5).

(5) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and
(b)in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (6).
A triangular bracket to offset the angle to as reasonably practicable (as close to vertical before touching the rear tyre with suspension fully depressed) would seem sensible as it should be a tiny job. Be a shame to risk a fail. I'm sure people do this then change back afterwards. Then it's you Vs any copper that might want to look at it.
Old 19-03-16, 01:40 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

I wasn't sure of the exact wording, but in principle number plates should be displayed on a flat surface which is "more or less" vertical as described above. Now this is never strictly imposed and new bikes have the plates angled, but like all things there comes a point where you are considered to be taking the mick. My guess would be yours is about the limit, depends on how lenient the MOT tester is, bearing in mind it's their personal tester's licence at risk.

I tend to remove or adjust anything which could possibly be contentious, I take my auxiliary lights off for example, a 5min job, if they're not there it can't be an issue.

A couple of strips of bent steel to make the plate more upright for the MOT, as long as it is still illuminated, why not?