SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-03-09, 08:26 AM   #1
kbh

Default Intermittent Speedo

I've been sctraching my head over this one and i know there have been loads of threads on this but this problem seems different............

I bought the bike from Mototech here last week (2000 Curvy) and had it transported 300miles to me (This is my first bike and took a bit of a chance as i didn't see it but was quite happy to do the mechanical work required). When i bought it from him he did not mention anything about this electrical problem (bit disappointed with this) or send the seat cowl but i'm just waiting a mail back from him as he was going to make a phone call to see what had been done about this problem before and find out about the seat cowl for me.

My Clocks - Speedo, Rev Counter & Odometer along with the fuel light (yes there's a tank full of petrol) seem to come on and go off intermittently whilst riding but when they come on they show the correct speed and revs and the odometer comes on - then eveything will go - sometimes of their own accord or when i brake, when the lights are switched on/off and they will go again and then maybe not come back on at all for the entire ride.
I first thought bad battery connection....nope, i then maybe thought bad earth and found all the earthing points, cleaned them up a had a friend check the resistance on the earth's (i'm useless when it comes to electrics, much rather be crashing & banging around with an engine and besides i dont own a volt meter!) and it was so minimal. So no problem there.
Bike starts, stops and rides fine. All lights, indicators and brake lighs work as they should all the time and when the clocks cut in/out they remain the same. Battery doesn't go flat/drain either.

From what i have read to date on the this forum/web most people with similar problems seem to put it down to a bad earth - which i have checked and that's fine. The speedo sensor in the forks - well, when the clocks do come on they show the right speed and revs so i guess it can't be that. Another thing is the rectifier - don't think it's this as battery doesn't drain, but saying that when the clocks were on and the bike engine was running and i opened up the throttle they went off again so maybe there is a spike in the voltage?.
Another thing that made me think that is voltage related is when i had the bike stripped down last night and left the ignition on but bike not running it would also seem to reset itself (like when you first turn the bike on the LCD goes to all figures/numbers and the oil pressure light,fuel lights comes on etc) if i pulled the brake lever i.e. surge in power as the brake light came on. Turned on the side lights - it would reset itself and if you turn on dipped beam -it would reset itself.
Would anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be, everything works as it should on the bike apart from the clocks..are these faulty??(anyone in east sussex/kent borders that will let me borrow there clocks to see if there faulty perhaps?)
Somebody please help before i go insane.......

Cheers
Kit
kbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 09:48 PM   #2
kbh

Default Re: Intermittent Speedo

Bump.
Any1 have any suggestions please?
Old 05-03-09, 12:23 AM   #3
maclovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbh View Post
Bump.
Any1 have any suggestions please?
new speedo etc must have striped mine down 10 - 15 times looking for loose wires and other probs. cost me £30 in for sale section on here (cheap) it seems to be a common problem
Old 05-03-09, 06:32 AM   #4
kbh

Cheers Maclovin....that's not so bad then. I thought it was going to be something a lot more major than that. I'll get one ordered a see what happens.
Old 05-03-09, 05:23 PM   #5
maclovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbh View Post
Cheers Maclovin....that's not so bad then. I thought it was going to be something a lot more major than that. I'll get one ordered a see what happens.
£30 was a cheap second hand one . can cost a lot more depending how lucky you are
Old 05-03-09, 05:56 PM   #6
kbh

I managed to grab a set off of Adam on here today. He's done quite well from me as i had a screen from him last week as well.
Old 14-03-09, 07:57 AM   #7
kbh

Maclovin was right.....new set ordered from the org - Fitted them yesterday and now work a treat. I no longer have to guestimate my speed, especially past those horrible yellow boxes at the side of the road.

Thanks for your advice!