SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-11-07, 09:55 PM   #1
Keith1983

Question Immigration information

Well guys Im considering the possibility of upping and leaving the country (England that is). I have recently split from my now ex fiancee and when the house is sold I shall have a decent size wedge in my pocket. Although I would say I'm quite patriotic I am fed up of living in a country run by idiots where the biggest crime you can commit is being decent, honest and hardworking. Im wondering if anyone in sv land knows of any useful resources? I am looking into New Zealand. Any information at all would be gratefully received as I am just starting my research!
Old 16-11-07, 10:24 PM   #2
Demonz

Default Re: Immigration information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1983 View Post
Well guys Im considering the possibility of upping and leaving the country (England that is). I have recently split from my now ex fiancee and when the house is sold I shall have a decent size wedge in my pocket. Although I would say I'm quite patriotic I am fed up of living in a country run by idiots where the biggest crime you can commit is being decent, honest and hardworking. Im wondering if anyone in sv land knows of any useful resources? I am looking into New Zealand. Any information at all would be gratefully received as I am just starting my research!
I would say go and have a look before you buy into the hype. You may hate it for not being like home or for just being too quiet (most complaints). Try Aus as well - better weather.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/
Old 16-11-07, 11:02 PM   #3
Pedro68

Have to agree there ... if I was looking to move that far, then I'd certainly be looking at taking an extended holiday wherever I intended going. A month if possible.
Old 16-11-07, 11:10 PM   #4
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I think this was debated here somewhere earlier this year. NZ didn't get a too good a rating. Also, remember other countries don't welcome strangers with open arms and free healthcare like we do.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-07, 09:29 AM   #5
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1983 View Post
hi mate.Ex wife went to NZ about 3 yrs ago to get "away from this dump" and have a slower pace of life.
As soon as my oldest lad got to 16 he jumped on a plane and came home.He hated the place and missed England to much.In his words he just couldnt fit in and started to really hate the place.It got so bad for him that even the small things started to get on his nerves,having no letter box and having to walk down the path to pick up the mail,the way everybody seemed to be living and into things that were so old fashioned,the price of things that he missed from home.Pot Noodles for example cost over £3.00 each.
When he spoke to friends from home(cheshire) they told him stories of trips to Spain France etc.Nz was just to far away from everything and anywhere.
Funny thing is my ex is now working 7 days a week to make ends meet.So much for an easier life.
Try a working holiday and take it from there,probs the best bet.
good luck
Old 17-11-07, 08:08 PM   #6
redbouy

NZ is not a good place to head to. I believe the NZ PM went on UK TV some years ago to ask the kiwi's to come home. It may have been a great place 30 years ago. but not now. France, Spain< Italy, Working holidays are the way to go. Don't leave home just take a little time off work and head out. I did and that was 15 years ago.

[oh yea from NZ as well]
Old 18-11-07, 10:28 PM   #7
Stingo

Google for some forums...there's a lot of really good first hand info on them...BritishExpats is one, Pomsinoz is another.

Google is your friend.

Ask yourself one question...Will you regret NOT doing it? Think looooonnnnng and hard.
Old 18-11-07, 10:48 PM   #8
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Ask yourself one question...Will you regret NOT doing it? Think looooonnnnng and hard.
Seems to me that if it doesn't work out, you can always come back. And then at least you'd know.
Old 19-11-07, 02:50 AM   #9
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
Pot Noodles for example cost over £3.00 each.
Brilliant!

I'm heading to NZ at the end of next year, but I think I might skip it now, in light of this!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-07, 03:34 AM   #10
Razor

I'd say go visit first.
I spent a few weeks in Canada recently and it was enough to make me think about living there. The Canadians were just such nice folk.
As for healthcare, my Dad died in a hospital in Toronto and I have never seen care and consideration like that here. The ICU was incredible, modern clean and the staff spoke in hushed tones. After he went they all came in and hugged us, they cried with us and all had good things to say about my old Dad. Not the fake friendliness of the USA. Genuine folk.

Soon as I tie up a few loose ends I'm outta here!