SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-03-07, 01:15 PM   #1
SVeeedy Gonzales

Default Someone cut my throttle cables!

What a git.

I get the bike out this morning, start her up, get out into the alley, all ready to go, open the throttle and... nothing. Look down and both cables are severed, the cable is pulled out, the plastic coating cut in several places and the metal wrap between the plastic and the cable has been pulled out.

Wouldn't be so bad if this had happened while it was parked on the street but someone had to climb a 6ft wall or a 5.5 ft wooden gate, which although it's easy enough to do, you've got to have an aim once you've done it, so did the person do it just to cut the cables?

No other visible damage to the bike and general opinion is that someone was trying to nick it and got disturbed and cut them to keep it there or else they were just a spiteful git.

I'll post some pics of the damage later on. New cables on order and will be making sure the bike is well chained up until it's sorted.

Can't help but think it's some sort of revenge/vendetta thing - cutting someone's throttle cables looks like it's trying to send a message, but I can't think of anyone who I've upset recently who'd do something like that... maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Disturbed (in more way than one) moron thieves is probably the cause - suppose cutting the cables is as good a way of keeping the bike there as smashing the ignition these days.
Old 16-03-07, 01:27 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Someone cut my throttle cables!

have you informed the police?
Old 16-03-07, 01:33 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales View Post
No other visible damage to the bike and general opinion is that someone was trying to nick it and got disturbed and cut them to keep it there.

I'll post some pics of the damage later on. New cables on order and will be making sure the bike is well chained up until it's sorted.
Thats what I'd say to. have you got a neighbour with a garage that you can push your bike round to and get it under cover as it were.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-07, 01:33 PM   #4
Jelster

Neighbours who don't like the noise maybe ???

Has anyone confronted you about noise or bikes in general ?

Dis you leave it parked outside before you wheeled it into the garden (it may have been done then).

Where in Medway do you live ? (I grew up there and still have family in Rochester & Chatham).

Old 16-03-07, 01:35 PM   #5
thedonal

Bloody hell! That's terrible. Have you checked the brake cables too? Best be safe. What a terrible thing to do- on a par with stealing the bike in this case.
Old 16-03-07, 01:42 PM   #6
Carsick

^ Do you have brake cables on your SV? ;p
Old 16-03-07, 01:46 PM   #7
John 675

Post Re: Someone cut my throttle cables!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales View Post
What a git.

I get the bike out this morning, start her up, get out into the alley, all ready to go, open the throttle and... nothing. Look down and both cables are severed, the cable is pulled out, the plastic coating cut in several places and the metal wrap between the plastic and the cable has been pulled out.

Wouldn't be so bad if this had happened while it was parked on the street but someone had to climb a 6ft wall or a 5.5 ft wooden gate, which although it's easy enough to do, you've got to have an aim once you've done it, so did the person do it just to cut the cables?

No other visible damage to the bike and general opinion is that someone was trying to nick it and got disturbed and cut them to keep it there or else they were just a spiteful git.

Can't help but think it's some sort of revenge/vendetta thing - cutting someone's throttle cables looks like it's trying to send a message, but I can't think of anyone who I've upset recently who'd do something like that... maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Disturbed (in more way than one) moron thieves is probably the cause - suppose cutting the cables is as good a way of keeping the bike there as smashing the ignition these days.
Unless they were after your petrol? and looking in the completly wrong place?
Ground anchor? disk lock? BIG F**K OFF CHAINS? lol,
if its garaged - try a baby monitor if you want total peace of mind, my data tool is also my garage alarm,
Old 16-03-07, 01:51 PM   #8
petevtwin650

Well at least they didn't cut the brake lines, so it looks like they weren't out to physically hurt you.

Makes you wonder what sort of world we're living in.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.
Old 16-03-07, 02:14 PM   #9
Captain Nemo

id keep a real close eye on it, my thinking would be that they cut the throttle cable so that they could come back for it later.....
Old 16-03-07, 02:18 PM   #10
kwak zzr

why would someone cut your throttle cables to nick it? dont understand that bit? git bags anyway for messing with other peoples property! scum.