SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-11-04, 12:27 PM   #1
Magoo

Default To filter or not to Filter.....are you feeling lucky?

Just to carry on from what seems a common topic on this board at the moment...when do you filter?

Currently waiting for a claim that involved cars, bikes and filtering, I have changed my views on filtering since last Novemeber (yes I have been waiting that long for this claim! ).

Last year, I was filtering down the right hand side of a queue of stationary traffic, not going toofast as the lights 50 yrds or so ahead were red. I nice lady in a crappy Micra decides that she doesn't want to get stuck waiting for traffic comig the other way after the lights change but does want to go into the car park about 10 yrds ahead on the right....so she goes....no indication, no checks...just goes...and so do I as her decision was made as I was passing her rear wheel! Anyway, bike a bit screwed, my shoulder still not right BUT I have finally got her to admit liability!

Anyway, just to get to the point....if the car park junction had been even 2 or 3 yards closer the incident would probably have had to be sattled at 70%-30% in HER favour, as, although she did not indicate, I would have been filtering past a junction which in a court of law, due to a precedent set some time ago would mean that I was driving without the due care and attention that the situation deserved!

So if filtering past junctions means that any accident becomes your fault.....where in London could you ever filter without having to accept that your bike is likely to be written off soon and you will be left with nothing!

Sorry for the long post but this subject does interest me now.
Old 12-11-04, 12:54 PM   #2
Grinch

Surely if someone just turns without indicating and looking then surely is that not driving without due care and attention. But the grounds on filtering are rather fuzzy, after I've filtered past car park entrances but they where drops in to the payments and not a actual road juntion. I tend not to like filtering past justions due to the reason stated above, might need Frasers view here as he's can see what covered in the eyes of the law.
Old 12-11-04, 12:56 PM   #3
jonboy

I'm convinced filtering is an art - or at least safe and perfect filtering is. Playing devil's advocate I would put forward the notion that if someone pulls out of a line of traffic then with correct and focussed observation you should have some tell-tale sign, particularly as in this instance there was a car park entrance on the right.

Yes it's easy for me to say and no, I wasn't there. I'm just convinced that these sort of common accidents can be avoided with the correct approach. Easy? No way. Needs a lot of experience, training and discipline.

Yesterday I was out riding and I did some really first class filtering, really pleased. And then on the way back I did some utterly dreadful filtering and thought now why the hell did I just do that? Only by consistently working at filtering can you expect to stay rubber side down. So I'm working on it.

Glad the insurance claim seems to be sorted.

(Oh and please still be talking to me Phil ).

Old 12-11-04, 01:10 PM   #4
Jabba

Glad things are getting sorted.

I'm assuming that this was a single-file queue, hence your going along the outside? Difficult to spot people going what she did, so "slowly overtake" is the order of the day. Even if there were no junctions on the right, you'd still get looney cabbies doing u-eys

If it were a two lane queue then the sort of manouvre this lady did explains why most of us chose to filter between the lanes.
Old 12-11-04, 01:40 PM   #5
linco

During my journey to work I only filter in a few places, and every time is in 2 lane traffic. If the gap looks to close, i'll just hold off, though i'm quite a patient person. I've nearly been hit countless times and i've learnt from it each time such as checking where drivers are looking and watching my speed. If i'm sucsessful i'll make up about 10 minutes on my journey to work and in the winter thats 20 minutes a day being warm and not cold! Just my 2p's worth

Colin
Old 12-11-04, 02:31 PM   #6
howardr

As a good rule-of-thumb: If you're going down the outside, as long as no-one is coming the other way (or emerging from a junction into the lane coming the other way), stay way out in the middle of the opposite lane. This gives you a better view of the traffic you are overtaking so you can spot 'numpties' and also may give you enough space to avoid someone pulling out on you.

You feel a bit conspicuous at first but isn't that what it's all about?
Old 12-11-04, 04:30 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: To filter or not to Filter.....are you feeling lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo
When do you filter?
Whenever it's remotely possible.

Stay awake though.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-04, 10:38 PM   #8
Jelster

Have to agree with Squid on this one, I can't see the point of having a bike and not filtering... Crossing 20 miles through London each way as I do, I have done my fair share of filtering over the last 2 years.

I'm very fussy about where I will go down the outside, Commercial St, round the back of my office is about the only place I can think of. I've been caught too many times in other places by emerging traffic (and pedestrians ). I think that with experience you almost get a 6th sense, and can tell which cars/vans not to trust (anybody in a BMW or Mercedes for a start ). If I'm not sure I won't commit, and I wait for the gap to open.

However, I do have "Gixer boy" moments and chase the odd gap, accelerating into spaces I know I shouldn't, but IMHO that's part of biking. One thing I do know is, if I rode like that every day I'd end up in hospital, so I don't.....

Old 18-11-04, 11:23 AM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba-the-Hutt
If it were a two lane queue then the sort of manouvre this lady did explains why most of us chose to filter between the lanes.
Yes, unless it's single file I prefer that. I must admit I do sometimes single lane filter past junctions/turnings, but I try to sit a bit further out provided there's space in the oncoming lane.

Just out of interest, what's the fastest you (generally) filter at in fair conditions where the traffic is stopped or absolutely crawling?
Old 18-11-04, 11:35 AM   #10
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Just out of interest, what's the fastest you (generally) filter at in fair conditions where the traffic is stopped or absolutely crawling?
Never go higher than the posted limit.. and it all depends on the speed of the traffic and your location... if I'm filtering inbetween cars in a 40... then I expect my max is 20.
But I don't worry to much as if I'm looking at the speedo I'm not looking at the people in front and that when splat happens. So I go with what feels safe., and keep a eye out for everything.