SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-07-11, 10:57 AM   #1
apple tango

Default Bent handle bars?

I park my car in an underground car park as I live in a flat. Some absolute donkey has reversed (at some speed by the looks of it) into my bike.

It stayed upright as I have it chained to a metal girder with 4 chains. The only damage it has is a rip on the left grip and it feels as though the handle bars have been bent.

When I sit on the bike with the wheel straight, my left hand is now further forward than the right.

I'm trying to work out whether the left side of the bars (they're the stock bars for an 02 curvy) have been bent forward, or whether they've been hit so hard that they're not aligned with the wheel any more. Is the latter even possible?
Old 18-07-11, 11:14 AM   #2
mikerj

Default Re: Bent handle bars?

Have you checked that the forks themselves are not twisted in the yokes?
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-11, 11:18 AM   #3
Drumming_Animal

Default Re: Bent handle bars?

Sucks that some people are stupid enough to do such a thing and then to just leave it.

A good way to find out about yours bars is to get a piece of string. Align the bars and front wheel so they are "straight" as the would be if it was normal riding in a straight line. Then get the piece of string, hold one end on a fuel cap bolt head and then hold it to each bar end in different turns, if one distance is further than the other then you have bent bars.
It's more than likely that it's bent bars rather than the whole thing going out of alignment with the front wheel and forks. Might be worth looking down your forks to see if theres any twist or bends though.

Are there CCTV cameras in the car park? If so, is there any way you can get access to the footage? Might help just to see where/how the bike was hit. Also if you get a number plate, then you have video evidence. Would it be classed as a hit and run? Although it's on private premises rather than public roads. Maybe something to look into?