SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-12-04, 04:35 PM   #1
valleyboy

Default Cam Chain tensioners on a K3.. anyone??

Right.. I have read as much as I can on how to adjust the cam chain tensioners.. but.. Im stumped... I had a look at doing one of them.. and its completley different!!! Luckily I only took the top bolt off... and a spring popped out.. and thats all.. nothing to screw at the bottom....

So.. anyone know how the ones on a K3 are supposd to be adjusted ??

The damn thing is irritating me to hell now! The constant rattle is BLOODY ANNOYING!!

ANyway, I hope the rattle is the cam chain... if its anything else..I could be buggered!

Ta!

p.s. happy chrimbo
Old 23-12-04, 05:16 PM   #2
SV650Racer

Generally the tensioner is sell adjusting on this bike although they can get noisey and may need manually clicking up a notch on the ratchet. BUT if you really dont know what your doing then dont do it yourself.

If you overtighten it you could end up with a knackered engine and a large repair bill. A workshop local to you should be able to do this for not alot of money.

good luck.
Old 24-12-04, 11:40 AM   #3
curium

What's all this fuss with cam-chain tensioners?

My bike (SVS K3) has done 15k in 10months and has never needed the tensioners adjusting.

You lot must be hearing things.
Old 24-12-04, 11:54 AM   #4
valleyboy

The bike rattles a LOT compared to when I was running it in.

A Loud rattle can be heard until the wind noise drowns it out... I have been told its not a critical thing.. but it just irritates the hell out of me!
Old 25-12-04, 07:14 PM   #5
machra

Default K3 Rattle

My K3, 4000 miles, rattles on tickover but that is the clutch. I'vve had it in to the local Suzuki dealer and he says that they all do that!!!
Old 25-12-04, 08:28 PM   #6
wheelnut

Im sure that there is no need to be adjusting anything except the drive chain.

Have a search on here and find a post from Rictus, he does inter galactic milage and doesnt seem to adjust things as often as some do.

The rattle you hear is more likely to be the fairing or as stated the clutch although, even that is the first time I have heard of clutch rattle........

My opinion only of course
Old 26-12-04, 01:53 AM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

I did ask Rictus, he told us teh fix above Mine was quite rattly when I got it, but with a quick tweak on the front one every time it starts again I've shut it up nicely. It's always the front one...

I'm told that turning the screw clockwise actually retracts the tensioners, rather than tightening them- what it does is simply free up the mechanism and get it to start adjusting better again. I'll see if I can confirm this when I finally do the cam mod, since you need to remove the tensioners to do it.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-04, 12:55 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

I think you'll find the tensioner mechanism on the K3 onwards is completely different to the ones on "up-to-K2".

Mine is SK1, so I don't have direct experience of K3 onwards, but the workshop manual description and pictures show that it's different, and the screwdriver setting trick isn't relevant.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote