SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 11-02-13, 01:00 AM   #21
Runako

Default Re: Anyone for Castle Combe 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff-SV View Post
Can you just turn up for a DB test or do you have to book ahead?

Also as I'm new to track days what are the necessary items I need to take besides my license, leathers and bike?
Don't worry about petrol too much, there's a station nearby and plenty of breaks to refill. I actually think there is a bit of prep you need to do for your first or any trackday. But if its just for the Ridesafe thing you should be fine (remember to bring ALL parts of your license - some organisers are stricter on this than others, but just to be safe).

If doing a full trackday I strongly recommend bringing some basic items with you. A little toolbag (or in my case a big one) with selected useful tools for making adjustments throughout the day (e.g. Chain, pre-load on fr and rear susp, rearsets if you have adjustable ones, tyre pressure gauge etc).

Other little useful items - Snacks ; water; Tape (masking/electric) for mirrors and lights; spare levers (ok, maybe excessive); a few selected nuts and bolts.

On my first trackday my mirror came loose. Allen key will fix that, or simply remove them for the track. On my second trackday my barend somehow worked itself loose. Philips screwdriver came in handy. I could also adjust my rearsets and footlevers to make them feel optimal for the track. I also checked my tyre pressures throughout to make sure they were ok.

Now in all likelihood, you will meet people who have trucked or trailered down their bikes. They will have a mini paddock set up with their track bikes and have more tools than a hardware store. In my experience trackday riders are a great bunch and happy to lend a hand/tools if needed. But you never know so I would say at least go a little prepared. Some trackday websites also give guidance on how to prepare. Read up on these for more guidance.

Last edited by Runako; 11-02-13 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-02-13, 01:27 AM   #22
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

All good advise. Was just thinking about the BikeSafe where you get the one session, but for a full day yep a little more preparation is good.

On the subject of that, both parts of the license, insurance, MOT, and tax disc (will fit mine the night before) should be brought with you. They will check it and if you don't have it you won't get the on road assessment, and if you don't get that, you don't get the track.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-13, 06:46 AM   #23
Griff-SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybaba View Post
Cool. I'm contemplating going for the BikeSafe event, but it's a bit of a stretch from where I am.
Might need to spend the night on a mate's couch or hotel in order to make the assessed ride.

I need to sort my exhaust. The bike came with a nameless/brandless can that has a sweet sound. I've tried buying a baffle on eBay but doesn't fit.
I'm sure there are a couple of B&Bs close by which shouldn't be too pricey for one night
Old 11-02-13, 06:52 AM   #24
Griff-SV

Cheers for the tips Runako & Squirrel_hunter, I shall take a few bits with me. Annoyingly I will have to carry it in a backpack, never mind!

Last edited by Griff-SV; 03-04-13 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-02-13, 07:11 AM   #25
BBadger

CC do have a normal limit of sound but its at 3/4 revs which means my zx6r is tested at 11.5k revs (113DB w/o baffle) rather than 7.5k (103DB) which has been every other track.
Old 11-02-13, 07:53 AM   #26
Griff-SV

CC seem to be the strictest on DB limit.
Old 12-02-13, 11:32 AM   #27
Skybaba

Has anyone tried this app before, it's called Decibel 10th.

I was going to try it this morning but my bike refused to start

Just wondering if the readings are accurate or close? It's a free app and could save being turned away from the track.

Last edited by Skybaba; 12-02-13 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-02-13, 06:52 PM   #28
dkid

I've not tried it but I'd be sceptical if I'm honest. I wouldn't base my decision to spend money & book castle coombe on the results of it, that's for sure.
I imagine race circuits use decent calibrated gear.
Old 12-02-13, 09:18 PM   #29
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

No idea if it would be any good. Go to a track get tested then compare the results. 3/4 revs 1/2m from the exhaust. Warm the engine first as apparently it helps.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-13, 11:11 PM   #30
Skybaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff-SV View Post
I'm sure there are a couple of B&Bs close by which shouldn't be too pricey for one night
Thanks, it appears there are. I was checking on CC website and saw the link for B&B

http://www.castlecombecircuit.co.uk/...comodation.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkid View Post
I've not tried it but I'd be sceptical if I'm honest. I wouldn't base my decision to spend money & book castle coombe on the results of it, that's for sure.
I imagine race circuits use decent calibrated gear.
O.K, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
No idea if it would be any good. Go to a track get tested then compare the results. 3/4 revs 1/2m from the exhaust. Warm the engine first as apparently it helps.
This certainly sounds like a good idea.

Anyone know if full leathers are required for BikeSafe?