SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-12-18, 04:52 PM   #1
Mark

Default New Bike

Evening all, new guy here so please be gentle!

Going to look at a SV650 tomorrow as my first big bike, it seems to tick all the right boxes for me especially the size as im rather short in the leg!

Just wondering if there was anything important to look out for on these bikes?
Its a 2002 model at a dealers, apparently well looked after with a fair bit of history with it!

Cheers

Mark
Old 21-12-18, 07:28 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: New Bike

Hi and welcome. Is the bike an S model (with half-fairing and clip-on handlebars) or an N (naked with standard bars)? As it's a 2002 it's a carburettor bike. Fuel-injection was introduced on the post-2003 bikes (which are WAY better looking, of course )

The engines on SVs are pretty much bomb-proof, the only thing that really kills them is running low on oil as a result of neglectful / careless owners. As the bike is now 16 years old, look through the history / paperwork for evidence of regular servicing (the Suzuki schedule is oil change every 3,750 miles, oil filter every third oil change, coolant every 2 years).

But the major thing is, there are lots of SVs out there - don't rush to buy the first one you see. There will always be another one available soon. If you have any doubts about the bike you're looking at, just walk away.

Ask if the dealer is actually selling it directly themselves, or if they are selling it on behalf of someone. If it's the former, the dealer is obliged to fix any faults that emerge in the first 6 months of you owning it. If the latter, you have no comeback at all.

Good luck with it in any case.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-18, 07:43 PM   #3
Mark

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your response, all makes perfect sense. I had heard they were pretty bomb proof, as well as the size this has what has made me interested in the bike (and the fact it looks great).
I am however on a budget (wife dont agree with the whole bike thing) so cant stretch to a 2nd gen unfortunately!
Was originally informed this was a ladys bike, but the following it has is huge!
This is the one im going to look at tomorrow, its the naked version as the my back wont allow me to ride an "s" https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...n119nd&page=1#

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly received!

Cheers
Mark
Old 21-12-18, 08:16 PM   #4
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Always amazes me that industry traders say things like 1 month warranty. If they're a commercial enterprise I'm fairly sure they're obliged to 6 months minimum.

Can't comment on the one you've linked to but you'll always get a better price with a private sale.. but no warranty at all.

I've seen a few pointys around for similar price, such as this one on FB...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9363...6339830082290/

In case you can't view the link it's a 2005 Blue Pointy, 29,000 miles, Akropovic exhaust. (I have no connection with it, just saw it listed).

Last edited by Adam Ef; 21-12-18 at 08:19 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-18, 08:40 PM   #5
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I am however on a budget (wife dont agree with the whole bike thing) so cant stretch to a 2nd gen unfortunately!

Was originally informed this was a ladys bike, but the following it has is huge!
No the first gens are both better looking and if it's in yellow it has the added advantage of being faster.

There is a good number of the gentler sex riding SV's which is of course an advantage in any true gentleman's mind.

As for your wife, after a couple of weekends with us camped at yours she'll come round, honest.
Old 21-12-18, 09:01 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

As above nothing really to go wrong with a well looked after curvy. But it is a 16 year old bike, so corrosion might have got to bits you can't see. So check the electrical connections in the fairing when you get one.
The swingarm and suspension bearings will need stripping and either greasing or replacing, unless there's evidence that they've been done. Mr Suzuki didn't use much 16 years ago.

Silver ones like mine are rarer, and faster than a speeding bullet
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-18, 09:56 PM   #7
Mark

Thanks guys,

As for camping, the wife will not be up for that at all! But me and my young lad will be up for it no problem!
Old 21-12-18, 10:19 PM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

It does look nice, and the accessories are the sort that point to a more careful owner who uses and maintains the bike (front fender extender, rear hugger, crash bars etc).

If you like it, don't be afraid to haggle as it's a cash sale. As said above, because you're buying from a dealer then any faults which develop in the first 6 months (e.g. an electrical fault or engine fault) is assumed in law to have been developing or present when sold - so the supplying dealer is liable for fixing it.
Old 22-12-18, 08:22 AM   #9
Mark

Thanks again guys,
Do you think its an ok price for the bike? What are we looking at realistically?

Cheers

Mark
Old 22-12-18, 10:19 AM   #10
Craig380
Mega Poster

It's not unreasonable, especially as it's a dealer rather than a private sale.

Check when it was last serviced (oil change etc). And haggle hard. Winter is a slow time for bike sales so make a sporting bid of say, £1000 to start.