SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-07-07, 09:58 AM   #1
ejohnh

Default Head lift stand - advice needed please.

I just borrowed one of these from a mate. It's a folding one. The rod that goes into the fork tube is about 2mm or so too small. What's the mode of operation with these? Should I use it if the rod is that much smaller and also how does the stand stop from just folding back down when it takes the weight of the front end? Any advice will be most welcome.

Update: Hole is 21mm dia, max size rod is 18mm dia.

Last edited by ejohnh; 06-07-07 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-07-07, 10:45 AM   #2
stewart-250

Default Re: Head lift stand - advice needed please.

You need a sleeve to go over the pin on the stand to take it up to the required size. Stand manufacturer should be able to supply you with one.
My micron front stand uses a pin measuring 18.75mm then you fit an adaptor sleeve to take it up to 21mm. You really need it to be a snug fit or you risk having your bike lying on it's side.

In operation the stand can't fold back down because it works just like a rear paddock stand, it moves up and over it's balance point and locks out. Easier to see happen than describe though..

What you must remember is that a front paddock stand must be used along with a rear paddock stand. If used on it's own there is no side to side support so the bike twists around the headstock and ends up lying on its side on the garage floor!

To be honnest an ABBA stand is a far better stand to use (on an SV at least) than a front and rear paddock stand combination. Only my opinion though.

cheers

Stewart
Old 06-07-07, 11:39 AM   #3
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart-250 View Post
You need a sleeve to go over the pin on the stand to take it up to the required size. Stand manufacturer should be able to supply you with one.
My micron front stand uses a pin measuring 18.75mm then you fit an adaptor sleeve to take it up to 21mm. You really need it to be a snug fit or you risk having your bike lying on it's side.

In operation the stand can't fold back down because it works just like a rear paddock stand, it moves up and over it's balance point and locks out. Easier to see happen than describe though..

What you must remember is that a front paddock stand must be used along with a rear paddock stand. If used on it's own there is no side to side support so the bike twists around the headstock and ends up lying on its side on the garage floor!

To be honnest an ABBA stand is a far better stand to use (on an SV at least) than a front and rear paddock stand combination. Only my opinion though.

cheers

Stewart
I'm not using a front paddock stand. The head lift stand folds both ways.
Old 07-07-07, 05:45 PM   #4
stewart-250

To clarify my description. I have a micron front paddock stand that lifts the front end of the bike using a 21mm dia pin that is inserted in the bottom yoke.
If you're unsure about its operation your best bet is probably to ask your mate that you borrowed it from to demonstrate it for you. But do make sure it fits properly first and that the bike is also supported by a rear stand.

cheers

Stewart
Old 07-07-07, 07:13 PM   #5
ejohnh

Well I did it in the end. I bushed the 21 mm hole with a short length of plastic tubing so that it came down to 18mm, for which there was an available pin. But to do that I had to take the front mudguard off first, which involved taking off the front wheel etc - I used my front paddock stand to do that. Word of warning though - when the forks just rest on the paddock stand do not try to twist the forks at all or you are liable to drop the fork end off the stand. I only just sussed that and had to tether Eileen (the bike) to a garage rafter in order to rectify a potentially fkd up situation.

So got her up on the head stand and took off the forks and changed the springs and oil. Re-installed and the hagons make such a difference. I am really made up ..

About the 15 mins to get the forks off? Macho BS!!!! Maybe if you've got all the tools and done it a few times before - just about? Even then I doubt it.

Yep, I have been told that I could have trusted the 18mm pin in the 21mm hole but I didn't care to do that.

John