SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-06-12, 07:20 PM   #1
agy

Default Improving comfort on the SV?

So just rode longer distance on my SV first time. From London to Cambridge (with a little detour) prob abour 2.5-3 hrs riding and it was horrible! Neck in agony, wrists, hands and fingers literally numb. Even my left knee started hurting for no appartent reason. Oh and my a**e was in pain too! I was never comfy riding around London but was hoping to get used to it. Been nearly three months (mainly just riding in London) and not getting any better. Had the front of the bike brough back up as it was lowered when I bought it for whatever reason. Was hoping this would make a difference but it hasn't. I don't even know whether raised clip ons will be sufficient? I was told a full bar conversion will not work as it will hit the fairings when you put the steering lock on.
I've done all the usual stuff like gripping the tank, lying on the tank, bending the elbows, relaxing etc
I have no idea how I'm going to get though my planned road trip in August... so can't afford those raised clip ons...
After I had a quick break for petrol I was a bit better and could carry on a bit longer but still... shouldn't be this uncomfortable, surely!
Gotta ride back tomorrow hmmmm....
Old 29-06-12, 07:34 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Improving comfort on the SV?

now you know why we do the lunge

and thats bolloxx about the comfort bar kit.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 07:36 PM   #3
MJC-DEV

Could be - The SV is the most uncomfortable bike I've had (and its been a few)! I put this down to being tall ish with long legs. I did the Buell foot peg conversion which dropped the pegs enough to un-cramp my knees.
Lots of folks like the Gel seat in place of standard if it's the seat that's the main problem.
Having said all that I love the bike and no plans to change at the moment. You will get use to it and exercise the right muscles - like with push bikes.
I've always felt that if you need to go as far as a bar conversion then you may be better off with a different bike.

PS hands and wrists can be helped by making sure the brake/clutch lever angle is correct, ie they are in line with your arm, so you don't need to bend your wrists

Last edited by MJC-DEV; 29-06-12 at 07:39 PM. Reason: add
MJC-DEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 07:48 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by agy View Post
I don't even know whether raised clip ons will be sufficient? I was told a full bar conversion will not work as it will hit the fairings when you put the steering lock on. Whoever told you this is talking out of their ****. Jayneflakes has a full bar conversion and no issues, in fact pointies are much easier than curvies

I've done all the usual stuff like gripping the tank, lying on the tank, bending the elbows, relaxing etc

I have no idea how I'm going to get though my planned road trip in August... so can't afford those raised clip ons...

After I had a quick break for petrol I was a bit better and could carry on a bit longer but still... shouldn't be this uncomfortable, surely!
Gotta ride back tomorrow hmmmm....
Get a gel seat or have yours modified, I could only tolorate the OEM one for about 30miles

If you can't afford a full bar conversion, buy some raised clip ons. Get these before someone else does. They will make things better.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV6...#ht_500wt_1361
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 07:49 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
now you know why we do the lunge

and thats bolloxx about the comfort bar kit.
Sorry mate didn't see the last bit of your post
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 07:56 PM   #6
agy

I don't think it's the angle of the levers. I think the bars are just too far for me. I think need them higher AND closer. Will the raised clip ons help if they only bring the bars up but not closer?
Old 29-06-12, 07:58 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

agy.. i'm 5ft feck all and the only 2 things that can let me ride the SV are gillies and comfort kit as like you i find the reach to much for long distance.

there are bars from china that are fully adjustable and i'll try and look them out for you.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-12, 07:58 PM   #8
agy

How many rest breaks do you guys take? Maybe I should stop at least once an hour.
Old 29-06-12, 07:59 PM   #9
Fozzy

I've just fitted those same risers and they made a huge difference but be careful if you need the full rise on those bars (I don't) then you will need to sort out the brake cable as it will be to tight and will fail a MOT. It could cause an issue if your front wheel fully extends (say dropping into a pot hole) and pulls on the pipe.
Old 29-06-12, 07:59 PM   #10
agy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
agy.. i'm 5ft feck all and the only 2 things that can let me ride the SV are gillies and comfort kit as like you i find the reach to much for long distance.

there are bars from china that are fully adjustable and i'll try and look them out for you.
what are gillies?
so have you got the raised clip ons?