SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-06-05, 06:43 AM   #1
griff

Default power commander

anyone happen to know the part number for a pc 3 (not a usb)power commander for a k5 650s? i want to get a can and an air filter but dont want to run lean and lose performance, and im not interested in spending the money to have a usb port.
Old 01-06-05, 07:03 AM   #2
Rune

The pcIIIusb is the only model for the 2003-2005 sv650(s), it isn't available without the usb port.
The part no. is 313-411.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-05, 10:37 AM   #3
Cloggsy

You could save yourself the cost of a Powercommander all together, just get your fuel system re-mapped by a tuner using a 'Yoshi' box Should cost ITRO £100, inc dyno runs etc
Old 01-06-05, 12:36 PM   #4
graywok

I bought my PC3 USB in the US when visiting -- price worked out at GBP 155..
If you sell the bike subsequently you can easily remove the PC and sell it.
Good fun playing with the various maps on offer plus you can easily get it tweaked on a dyno if you feel the need or change the end can / filter.

Re the comment on running running lean - Looking at the PC maps It appears as Standard the SV650 Euro Model runs significantly rich through most of the rev/throttle position for optimum power.
The modified Maps also select significantly leaner setting than stock for most of the rev range.
I have noticed a much smoother response lowdown - no popping banging on the overun and improved acceleration when whacking the throttle fully open.

Whichever route you take - PC3 with or without a dyno or remap - you will feel the benefits
Cheers
Graham
Old 01-06-05, 12:40 PM   #5
Ceri JC

I know it's been asked before, but I don't recall ever seeing an answer:

Does a powercommander negate the need for the TRE mod/Nikko G-Pack?
Old 01-06-05, 02:22 PM   #6
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
I know it's been asked before, but I don't recall ever seeing an answer:

Does a powercommander negate the need for the TRE mod/Nikko G-Pack?
No, I don't think so...
Old 01-06-05, 03:01 PM   #7
Peter Henry

No popping or banging on over run? Sounds like two good reasons not to use a PC on a Vee twin if you ask me! Why remove one of the best character traits? But then again,what the f*ck do I know?
Old 01-06-05, 07:26 PM   #8
curium

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywok
I have noticed a much smoother response lowdown - no popping banging on the overun and improved acceleration when whacking the throttle fully open
Agreed!

Although my dyno session showed increased power the only thing i can truly swear i noticed was how smooth the low-down throttle response became.
Old 01-06-05, 11:37 PM   #9
griff

after a little research and some thought a power commander sounds like a good idea. with the option to change things as desired or as needed on your own is a definite plus. also you dont have to rely (or wait) on someone else to get something done. i have looked around and found a place that will map and double the warranty of a pc3usb for $260 which is not bad at all.
Old 02-06-05, 07:30 AM   #10
Peter Henry

I have to say that so many of our American friends absolutely swear by the PC!(So do I when I get a virus,titter,titter!)