SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 09-12-07, 11:56 AM   #1
ejohnh

Default Sat Nav and the law in Europe

HI,

I have been reading conflicting opinion about this from all over. I cannot find a definitive statement about it though. SO:

What is the law re using satnav screen and audio in France and Spain? Is it just the speedcam mapping which is illegal? Do you really have to pull over to check the map - or what?

Any informed replies will be treasured

John
Old 09-12-07, 12:08 PM   #2
wheelnut

Default Re: Sat Nav and the law in Europe

The law should be universal anywhere. apart from speed camera alerts where the UK is over populated with them.

Why do you need sat nav if you are looking at the screen, set it up before you leave and listen to the voice commands.

I read about a woman who had a sat nav to find her regular hair dresser

Sat Nav should not be used as a road atlas, you wouldnt read a map while driving would you?

It really does annoy me to see someone trying to press buttons on the screen while driving, its worse than using a mobile phone
Old 09-12-07, 12:27 PM   #3
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
The law should be universal anywhere. apart from speed camera alerts where the UK is over populated with them.

Why do you need sat nav if you are looking at the screen, set it up before you leave and listen to the voice commands.

I read about a woman who had a sat nav to find her regular hair dresser

Sat Nav should not be used as a road atlas, you wouldnt read a map while driving would you?

It really does annoy me to see someone trying to press buttons on the screen while driving, its worse than using a mobile phone
You obviously didn't understand my post I was asking if anyone knew what the law was, and not for their opinion (informed or otherwise) as to whether or not they should be used.
Old 27-12-07, 03:50 PM   #4
chazzyb

Active detection devices are illegal in France - RADAR and I assume, LASER. Sat Nav and their camera alerts aren't, as far as I'm aware. One thing you can be pretty certain of in France; if there's a speed camera sign, there WILL be a camera, and quite soon. So, if you keep your eyes open, you shouldn't get nicked by a fixed camera. A cop with a handheld device, on the other hand...
Old 27-12-07, 06:05 PM   #5
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzyb View Post
Active detection devices are illegal in France - RADAR and I assume, LASER. Sat Nav and their camera alerts aren't, as far as I'm aware. One thing you can be pretty certain of in France; if there's a speed camera sign, there WILL be a camera, and quite soon. So, if you keep your eyes open, you shouldn't get nicked by a fixed camera. A cop with a handheld device, on the other hand...
Thanks
Old 27-12-07, 11:14 PM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Sat Nav is great for driving a car in fog - you get to see where the road goes before you see it in real life. you hardly have to slow down at all!

joking! obviously, I mean I did slow down... a bit
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-07, 11:34 AM   #7
nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh View Post
HI,

I have been reading conflicting opinion about this from all over. I cannot find a definitive statement about it though. SO:

What is the law re using satnav screen and audio in France and Spain? Is it just the speedcam mapping which is illegal? Do you really have to pull over to check the map - or what?

Any informed replies will be treasured

John
satnav is not illegal in France although judging by the way millions drive along with their nose buried in it it wont be long before it is. However knowing how the french think, if the government did make it illegal they would still continue to use it and put up two fingers to the govenment , as they have done with radar detectors.
Old 29-12-07, 01:09 PM   #8
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post
satnav is not illegal in France although judging by the way millions drive along with their nose buried in it it wont be long before it is. However knowing how the french think, if the government did make it illegal they would still continue to use it and put up two fingers to the govenment , as they have done with radar detectors.
Thanks Nigel.