SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-11-08, 01:32 PM   #1
Dappa D

Default proposal for 6 points for speeding

news just said anything over 90mph on the motorway and its 6 points etc....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20081120/...y-45dbed5.html

sort of a good thing on the whole but surely it depends on conditions/surroundings etc...
Old 20-11-08, 01:36 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: proposal for 6 points for speeding

i like the naivety that thinks that lowering the DD limit will stop the people who think it's OK to drive while obviously over the limit stop doing so
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-08, 01:40 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

I love the way that although speeding is only a factor in a third of incidents and the Driver that killed the kids of the people the dragged out to attach to this was over the limit they still say its speed thats the problem.

Have any of the people who push these knee-jerk reactions DRIVEN on a motorway recently

How about just enforcing lane discipline for example

Oh thats right, that would require Real Live Plods, not just more scameras.

I hear they are also thinking of introducing limits for driving under the influence of drugs

WTF

Surely you dont need a limit, just say ANY and your bang to rights.

And surely if its in your bloodstream/system its in your possesion as well? - Do them for that too.

Or just legalise the drugs, and THEN you can bring in "quantity based" legislation.

Whoever replaces Labour at the next election needs to go through all the numpty laws they brought in and ditch the lot of them.

█╬╬╬╬(•)iŻi▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-08, 01:40 PM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
i like the naivety that thinks that lowering the DD limit will stop the people who think it's OK to drive while obviously over the limit stop doing so
+1

will stop nothing just make more money

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-08, 01:59 PM   #5

yeah its like saying well Im only over by a little..... if you have 3 pints then drive your not gonna care what the damned limit is are you... duh..

as for more points for speeding... load of old ****e... why cant they just please get more officers on the roads again.... speed cameras dont bother me but a copper with a car and laser makes me think twice...
Old 20-11-08, 02:03 PM   #6
G
Mega Poster

More police = higher taxes......and besides they are all busy controlling football matches.

Tougher penalties would make me think twice about speeding on the road.......but we already have some of the toughest driving penalties in europe. As its not just the initial fine etc, its the additional insurance cost as well.

I sometimes wonder if its worth having a road bike any more. I bought my bike purely for fun, and the road is becoming less and less fun.
Old 20-11-08, 02:06 PM   #7
DanAbnormal

Yes driving at 90mph down a motorway is so very dangerous. Muppetts.
Old 20-11-08, 02:21 PM   #8
G
Mega Poster

Lots of cars are more than stable and completely safe doing 90mph on a motorway.

However an 18 year old in a 1.2 corsa which is unstable and on the limit at 90mph and dangerous if the brakes are tapped at that speed is not safe.

There is countries with variable speed limits which is the best idea.

Trucks and small engine vehicles relegated to the inside two lanes, bigger engined faster car can use the 3rd lane.

Likewise motorway 70mph in the Wet....90mph in the dry.

Other countries have implemented systems like this succesfully.
Old 20-11-08, 02:56 PM   #9
Jelster

You're trying to reason logically with the current governmeent ??

Labour has mentality of implementing new laws etc without looking at the real evidence. Yes, in 50% of road deaths speed was a factor, but in 90% of that 50%, I would suggest that also the inability to drive properly was probably the cause they were like that in the first place.

Influence of drink/drugs, driving without a licence and just being a plain plonker are all reasons why accidents happen. It's very rarely that I drive on the motorway without going over the limit these days. Decent tarmac and a suitable car makes this a fairly safe option. Not when the road conditions are unsuitable or are very busy, not around foriegn trucks and not sitting up the backside of the car in front (all of which most of the muppets tend to do).

You cannot reason with this government - they've cocked up just about everything else so they'll make a hash of this too!

Old 20-11-08, 03:03 PM   #10
Ceri JC

I hate the way they consider doing 26mph over the limit on the motorway as being as bad as doing 26mph over the speed limit in a built up area. There is nowhere near the same amount of danger doing 96mph on an empty motorway as there is in doing 56 in a quiet cul de sac.