SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-05-10, 11:54 AM   #1
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Buying a bike - deposit.

Hi,
I'm off this weekend to see a few bikes for a friend, hopefully we'll be buying one of them.

Not sure about how to get them back to Aberdeen though. Could just ride it back (100 miles on a 125), or rent a van or something bigger.

Which brings me to the question: if we find a bike that we want, but have to wait say a week to pick it up we could leave a deposit, but what's the deal with them?
Do you need to sing something or just trust the owner? Or buy and pay for it and sign the V5, and trust the owner not to ride it for a week?

Cheers
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 11:59 AM   #2
davepreston

Default Re: Buying a bike - deposit.

get a recipt for the cash you leave just a bit of paper with the amount paid signed by you both ,dont do the v5 thing unless you like speeding fines
ps write down figures and words like a cheque eg one hundered pounds only and have them inital at the start of the words and you the end
eg i dave preston have paid £100.00 to gemma h as a deposit for bike reg abc1234 with a final total price of £500
dp, one hundred pounds only, gh paid four hundred pounds more to be paid on collection
signed dave and gem

Last edited by davepreston; 11-05-10 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-05-10, 12:04 PM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

I went to see a bike some years ago, liked it and left a £50 deposit to hold it until I could come back with the cash.

Something about though (The area etc) didnt sit right with me so I had it HPI and it came back as a cat C, went back and demanded my cash back.

Whistle, it is a deposit, you not completing so I am keeping. Not his fault the guy he had got it off never told him it was a cat C etc. As he claimed it to be a private trade and despite knowing him to be a dealing, I couldn't prove anything. Cops not interested, and trading standards couldn't prove he was a dealer

Last edited by timwilky; 11-05-10 at 12:06 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 12:12 PM   #4
ozzy

Make sure you run a HPI on them. So easy to end up with something with a dark past. i know someone that ended up with a CAT B TL1000. And you would never know unless you'd run a check before.
Old 11-05-10, 12:15 PM   #5
dyzio
Mega Poster

Thanks, I'm just wondering... Is 100 miles (A roads, Perth-Aberdeen) on a 125 a really silly idea?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 12:18 PM   #6
ozzy

In short the answer to that question is yes. I once did about 15 miles on a 125 on A-roads, and I felt the bike was just too underpowered for the roads, swore i'd never do that again. you might get a bit frustrated... Hire a Streetvan or something.
Old 11-05-10, 12:19 PM   #7
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
Do you need to sing something

You could sing them to sleep then ride off on it!!!

But seriously, get a receipt to say that you have put a deposit down on it and mention what is left to pay...
Old 11-05-10, 12:30 PM   #8
aarond

Quote:
Thanks, I'm just wondering... Is 100 miles (A roads, Perth-Aberdeen) on a 125 a really silly idea?
no i did it on the drz mate and that was when it was snowing and icy so i would say its ok
Old 11-05-10, 12:36 PM   #9
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
After I did my CBT I bought a 125cc bike 275 miles away from me. Took about 7 hours but I got home!
Old 11-05-10, 12:37 PM   #10
McK

Quote:
Ive done London -> Aberysthwyth and back on a Honda h100. Took a while but was thoroughly enjoyable. 100 miles is only 2 hours riding and thats if you're pootling at 50.