SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2008 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2008 SV650.org's annual rideout.

Old 23-02-08, 09:01 PM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default AR08 - Rideout Details

AR 2008 Rideout Details

Before reading, please note. I have not reccie’d the entire route yet so some of this might change over the next few months.

Start Point

Cartgate Picnic Area here :

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/29796

This is nice and close to the campsite, it also keeps a big group of riders away from Yeovilton where the Air Show is on the same weekend.

If you coming just for the rideout. There is a snackbar here, but if you want hot food I’d suggest that you stop at the Little Chef at Podimore here

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_hotel/hotel/hotel_id/104/YeovilPodimore

As you’ll see its only a short ride down to the Cartgate Picnic area from there.

When you arrive or Prior to arriving, please make sure that you fill up so you have a full tank of fuel, This helps keep us all together don’t worry I have planned a fuel stop into the day.

You can either fill up at Podimore if you are riding past it, those of you staying at the campsite theres a BP Garage just up the road from Cartgate ask me and I’ll make sure you know where to get fuel from.

Where does the rideout finish ?

The rideout will finish at the Campsite here

http://www.halfwaycaravanpark.com/

If you are only staying for the day no problem come and join us have some food and socialize before you depart home.

If your camping, Job done..

EDIT - Please note revised start time. We've got a lot more people coming now than I first planned for as we're a bigger group I think it makes sense to start a little earlier. Also we can have a bit longer in Swanage for lunch if we start earlier to.

Day Riders - Sorry to be a PIA

We’ll aim to depart at 10:00am and I would think we’ll be back at the campsite by about 4:30 to 5pm ish. ( timings subject to route reccie )

Can I just turn up at the rideout ?

Yes you can, just be at the start point ready to roll with a full tank of fuel by 11am.

Where does the rideout go ?

It takes you through some of Somerset and Dorset’s best biking roads, and takes in some local scenery. You’ll be riding the roads in my local area, where I grew up and I learnt to ride. Rest assured a lot of thought and planning has gone into the route to make sure its accessible to all levels of rider.A rough idea of where we go.

From Cartgate down the A303 and then take the A356 to Crewkerne.

Before Crewkerne take A3066 to Haselbury Plucknet and North Perrot and then take the A356 again towards Dorchester.

We’ll stop at Dorchester for a cup of tea in the bikers Café there in the main carpark at the top end of town. If you want fuel nip back down the road to the Petrol station at Loders VW Garage.

Once we’ve had a brew, then we’ll take a rough route encompassing the A352 and then the A351 to Swanage where we’ll stop and have lunch.

After Lunch we’ll make our way out towards Wareham, then onto the A350 taking in Blandford then stay on the A350 which is a lovely twisty bit of road to Shatesbury where I’m hoping we can stop again for a break at the Tesco’s there. There will be a fuel stop here and a chance for a break.

Then from Shaftesbury, take the A30 all the way to Sherborne, then at Sherborne take the road to Marston Magna, then from Marston Magna take the road to Mudford ( this is possibly my favourite section of road in the local area ) then we’ll skirt round the outskirts of Yeovil and then drop back down to the campsite itself.

Will there be plenty of breaks ?

Yes, there will be a tea break at a popular biker Café in Dorchester, its not glamourous but I’m sure you’ll have stopped in enough of these to know what to expect.We’ll stop for Lunch in Swanage where you can stretch your legs and grab something to eat. Theres plenty of café’s , Fish and chip shops etc where you can fend for yourself and take in the sea air.Then in the afternoon we’ll stop again for fuel and another short break.

Basically think of it as 3 legs or 40 miles or so and you’ll get an idea of what to expect.

How long is the rideout ?

It is approximately 110 miles.

I’m worried I’ll get lost.

Don’t worry the rideout will be marked by dedicated Markers with a Yellow HI Viz jacket on where ever there is a junction they will direct you the correct way so you wont get lost.The plan is for the leader, TEC and markers to practice and learn the route so that when it comes to the rideout day itself everything will go smoothly.

Can I be a marker ?

This is going to work best if we use dedicated markers that know the route and where they are going. They will all have each others phone number so we can keep in touch with each other. However if you get to a junction that you feel needs marking and theres no marker there, then you are more than welcome to stop in a safe place and mark the junction. Just wait for the Tail End Charlie to go buy and the safely pull out again and re-join the group. Just use some common sense and everything will go fine. Hopefully we'll have got the junctions marker system right so nobody needs to worry about this. Just enjoy your riding and the countryside.

Will it be a fast paced ride ?

Nobody buys a motorbike to ride it slowly we all know that. However this is supposed to be a fun social ride to explore some new bits of the country. So therefore no it won’t be a flat out hoon.It’ll be a medium paced ride, so no need to race or ride faster than you want to.

If you are new to riding or not confident then let me know and I or somebody who is an experienced rider can have a chat with you prior to the ride itself to calm your nerves and give you some tips and pointers.

Do you have to own an SV to turn up ?

No not at all, all makes and models of bikes are welcome.

Do I have to be a forum user to turn up ?

No not at all, got a mate with a bike, bring them along to. More the merrier.

I’ve never ridden in a group before, what should I expect ?

Group riding can be safe and fun, just follow these few simple rules.Leave space, don’t ride to close to the bike in front of you. This should allow you to stop or take avoiding action should something happen that you are not expecting.Just ride how you want to, don’t be tempted to rag it in order to keep up. You wont get lost of left behind. Where you can use a staggered or Zig Zag. formation. Especially at junctions and traffic lights this helps us take up less room on the road and also gives another escape route should something unexpected happen.

Basically don’t ride like a tw*t OK, Remember we’ll be a big group of riders so we’ll be easy enough already to spot, just don’t do anything daft that is likely to attract extra attention.

Remember we're riding on the public road, you and you alone are responsible for your own actions.

Can I over take ?

If you want to yes, theres no reason why you shouldn’t over take another rider, just as you would do if you were out for a ride by yourself and came across another biker. Please remember if you are overtaking we have a mixed bunch of riders of all ages and ability. Leave them some space both prior, during and after the overtake.Basically normal rules of the road and common sense apply. Please don’t over take on the left or undertake. If you are going to overtake only over take on the right.

Remember the markers will be coming through the pack at some point. It’ll help things run extra smoothly if you make it easy for them to overtake you.

What if I don’t feel Safe ?

Keep calm, indicate and pull over and let the other bike by or to make yourself some room. Don’t ride in a way that you feel under pressure. We’re all out to enjoy our day out. It supposed to be fun.

What if I want to ride flat out ?

We’re not here to tell each other how to ride, just have a bit of common sense, that’s all we’re asking. Again remember we’ll have a mix of riders and abilities what may seem OK to you might scare the hell out of somebody else. Just have a thought to the others on the ride and we’ll all get on just fine. Again just don’t like ride like a tw*t J

I.C.E.

I’m sure most of us have emergency contact details in their mobile, if you don’t you might want to think about adding them in. If something should go wrong over the weekend it could be very helpful for the emergency services to have these details.

The Most Important Thing.

Is to have fun

Remember we have not quite finalised the route yet, so things may change a little, but not much. Keep checking back here for regular updates.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 17-06-08 at 10:53 AM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 08:07 PM   #2
Ed

Default Re: AR08 - Rideout Details

Fizz, is the route settled now? Have you got a map of it?
Old 04-05-08, 08:44 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

No it's not 100% sorted out yet.

Old 17-06-08, 10:56 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Just to bump this.

I'm not going to publish the route. I have google mapped it out, if anybody is desperate for a copy of it, let me know and I'll send you a link.

Also due to what looks like a huge amount of people coming I feel its prudent to pull the start time forward, this means it should be a little eaisier to deal with a bigger group of riders and also mean we can get a bit more time in at Lunchtime at Swanage.

So I'm hoping to get everybody away from Cartgate Picnic Area at 10am now and not 11am.

Apologies for the late notice.

Old 17-06-08, 04:55 PM   #5
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post

So I'm hoping to get everybody away from Cartgate Picnic Area at 10am now and not 11am.
6am start for us then

Like we'll be able to sleep the night before anyway

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-08, 10:19 PM   #6
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Just to bump this.

I'm not going to publish the route. I have google mapped it out, if anybody is desperate for a copy of it, let me know and I'll send you a link.

Also due to what looks like a huge amount of people coming I feel its prudent to pull the start time forward, this means it should be a little eaisier to deal with a bigger group of riders and also mean we can get a bit more time in at Lunchtime at Swanage.

Apologies for the late notice.
Can't wait

Old 24-06-08, 05:02 PM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

fizz me old chona. can you pm the link to the map?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 07:00 PM   #8
Pingu65

Fizz

Can you PM the google link please?
Old 24-06-08, 08:03 PM   #9
TEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingu65 View Post
Fizz