SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-04-10, 09:21 PM   #1
Owenski

Default Total dismantle! Only to rebuild it agan... At some point (hopefully).

Ok campers, while you were all out riding around in the sun, I did some tweaks to the pointy got it MOT'd then decided it was time to dismantle the curvy. So spent the weekend in the shed swearing and wondering why the hell I started something I'll be amazed if I finish.

Especially when the first bolt I tried to undo on the LHside infil panel sheared off, panel came off but obviously the bolts still in there. This continued as a pretty common theame and I've got a few which have sheared off, including the bolts which were holding the exhaust headers in place.

Anyway so the first question in this thread of SOS for my no doubt doomed subject is.

How do i repair/solve/fix the feckin' sheared bolts?
Does anyone have any plain standard side infils panels they dont want anymore?

x x mwah
Old 11-04-10, 10:58 PM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: Total dismantle! Only to rebuild it agan... At some point (hopefully).

Also a set of coils, if anyone has a fully working set knocking about I may be pursuaded
Old 12-04-10, 09:06 AM   #3
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: Total dismantle! Only to rebuild it agan... At some point (hopefully).

Getting broken bolts out is a pain.

I would drill a pilot hole and use a stud extractor (easy out). If the thread is then damaged, a helicoil may fix it, but if not, drilling and tapping a new thread may do it.

However, I am new to this and don't even have an NVQ in bike polishing , let alone repairing!

Good luck with your project, we expect to see a fully polished frame and kit at the end of the summer. No excuses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 03:55 PM   #4
Owenski

Are the cylinder head bolts which hold the exhaust header in place counter threaded? I just had a horrid thought that if I try to use one of those easy outs will it only end up tightening them further.
Old 13-04-10, 09:31 AM   #5
danf1234

Easy outs are the devils work. Whenever I used them they have just shagged and chewed things up worse.
Old 13-04-10, 09:46 AM   #6
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf1234 View Post
Easy outs are the devils work. Whenever I used them they have just shagged and chewed things up worse.
So whats your preferred solution?
Old 13-04-10, 09:54 AM   #7
danf1234

Find a local engineering shop in the yellow pages and they would sort it for you. I took my OZ front wheel from my old RSV to Bootham Engineers in York. They removed 2 snapped off bolts and retapped the threads. They did this for a £20 note.

Unless you are really used to working with this type of thing my experience has always been leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

It may of course be a little more difficult with the exhaust headers, unless you can find someone mobile.
Old 13-04-10, 11:35 AM   #8
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf1234 View Post
Find a local engineering shop in the yellow pages and they would sort it for you. I took my OZ front wheel from my old RSV to Bootham Engineers in York. They removed 2 snapped off bolts and retapped the threads. They did this for a £20 note.

Unless you are really used to working with this type of thing my experience has always been leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

It may of course be a little more difficult with the exhaust headers, unless you can find someone mobile.
Hmm Ill look into that, everything is off the bike so if I can find a place willing to do it. I could take the stuff round to them in the car and even leave it there if needs be.
There are maybe a dozen bolts which have sheared off and all on various pieces;
Forks, Frame, Engine, Swing arm.
Old 13-04-10, 11:43 AM   #9
davepreston

blowtorch and mole grips work well with zuast bolts, we did thid last week on devil 1's and it took about 10 mins
Old 13-04-10, 11:59 AM   #10
Owenski

torch the bolt or the engine?
The engine bolts all stick out a good 15mm but the ones in the frame forks and swing arm have all snapped off either flush or sub surface.