SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 12-10-17, 09:46 AM   #1
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Cost effective garage or shed alarm

If you want a very cost effective garage alarm try one of these (you can set it to a proper siren that screams until you hit the off button on the receiver or just a normal doorbell 'ding-dong, ding-dong' - the receiver has flashing LED lights when triggered - I guess so you can find it easily in the dark to turn it off LOL, but may also be for deaf people). I have rigged one up with two sensors inside garage and receiver by our bedroom. Can be operated off batteries or plug in mains power supply (if you look at bottom left of webpage 'frequently bought together' it shows power supply as an extra) I have the receiver power supply plugged into a timer in the house so it only operates between 10pm and 7am, once you have 'paired' up the sensors and receivers you can take power off receiver and it does not forget the pairing. I put the sensors where they are not really visible and covered the flashing blue LED that shows they have been activated with tape. The sensors need 3xAAA batteries ( I got some rechargeable Panasonic infinium low self discharge ones which hold a charge for 12 months +, but any good alkaline battery will do because passive PIR take hardly any current) - if you don't get power supply with receiver it takes 3xC size alkaline. (have to remove batteries before you plug it into mains otherwise batteries liable to explode, I got the power supply so I could put it on a timer, otherwise if using batteries you have to keep remembering to turn it off when you go into garage LOL)

If you look on 1Byone site in detail you can get a remote fob as well, to arm and disarm the receiver alarm, but read the reviews first as I got the impression it does not always work (whether that is due to 'operator error' or limited range I don't know).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RCW8Q...=safew-21&th=1

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 10:19 AM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Cost effective garage or shed alarm

Between 10 and 7 you say, could I have your address please ��
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-17, 10:24 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Between 10 and 7 you say, could I have your address please ��
its now plugged in 24/7 LOL - and will text my phone if an alarm goes off............... so that I can view my garage through hidden camera via the app on my phone

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 12-10-17, 11:05 AM   #4
ophic
Mega Poster

I have a much less cost effective version that sounds an alarm when anyone goes near the shed, in the garden or walks past the garden gate 10 yards away. Very effective at deterring unwanted visitors. Also effective against canvassers, junk mail, the postman, deliveries, children, guests, parents and occasionally me. Built in paper shredding function with extra capacity available for ornaments, remote controls, fingers and ankles. No off button. Needs regular maintenance.

Loki by Bob Goddard, on Flickr
Old 12-10-17, 11:19 AM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Yeah dogs are OK, but are not actually very specific (they bark at anything) tend to have higher running costs, lose sensitivity / effectiveness as they age, can smell (especially after pork crunch / pork scratchings have been ingested), which hopefully electronic gizmos don't (if anything electrical starts to smell its normally fekked).

Seriously though the alarm does work very well and at around the £20 mark good value - a couple of people I know have put them in both their shed and garage (bought two sets of 2x sensor and 1 receiver) so that they can see which receiver has triggered and are very happy with them.

Old 14-10-17, 11:11 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I had similar but I got bored with replacing the batteries.I know you can use a DC power supply but just to add to the thread,which is excellent:

The cheap,"Cyclone" alarm I have on my SV650,

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...hlight=cyclone

I could quite easily fit another to my garage door inside near the hinge side and wired to one of my old 12v Car batteries.This would last around a year on that kind of battery.They are REALLY loud and easy to Arm and Disarm and have key-fob adjustable sensitivity.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 14-10-17 at 11:13 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote