SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 13-06-12, 06:20 AM   #11
Specialone

Default Re: 1st track day booked

Being a veteran of only one track day at Mallory, Ill offer my 'tips'.

Do fold your mirrors in, I was worrying more about people coming up my inside, I wasn't concentrating on the corner.

Defend your lines, **** the idiots who wanna come down the 0.5m left of track on the inside of you, it's their problem.
I rode a lot better once I decided, **** it.

They recommend a 2psi drop in air pressure, I did this (was summer) and I checked pressures while warm and they increased by 3psi.

Remove your number plate when you get there.

I'd even cover up your speedo, stops you focusing on the speed rather than just riding.

I was in a mixed group of inters and novices in 30 minute sessions, I'm not a quick rider and I weren't the slowest, I even overtook a track bike
My sprint was less than 6 months old with 1500 miles on the clock so I didn't go too mad, but I was still outbraking half the group at the bus stop hairpin.

Expect to be knackered, it's very tiring.

Enjoy it, it's great fun
Old 13-06-12, 09:14 AM   #12
L3nny
Mega Poster

If it's a warm day take plenty of fluids with you. I always take a 4 pack of Lucozade sport and another bottle to fill with water. You will be amazed at how tiring it is compared to road riding (or maybe I am just unfit)

I also take with me a mini air compressor to pump the tyres back up at the end of the day. The tyre guy will usually be packed up by the end of the last novice session so wont be able to do it for you.

I also take spanners to remove the number plate and the mirrors, you don't need to do either of these but I do, mirrors are one less thing to break if its binned and you don't need them, number plate because if I crash on the way home I don't want the insurance company trying to say it was done on track.

There will be food there but it can often be expensive, rubbish, and with long queues so take a couple of sarnies as well.

If you have an Android phone, download trackmaster to log your lap times, not so you can try for the lap record but it's a great feeling to see your times dropping throughout the day.

Best thing to remember is it's not a race, just go out, enjoy yourself, and have fun.

If you are unsure of anything ask an instructor or even one of the more experienced guys on the track, the best thing about track days is that everyone is friendly and they all love talking about bikes.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-12, 09:46 AM   #13
Balky001
Mega Poster

some good advice already here so not much to add other than don't worrry about your suspension etc as its just another problem in your mind and you wont be stretching it unless you make mistakes. So don't amke miostakes. As you only have preload to play with I'd only adjust if you find you have too much movement on brakes/acceleration.

Tyre pressures - road rubber? A couple of pounds dropped if warm will be OK. I usually run 30 front 28 back unless using Supercorsa/Racetec then its a bit lower using hot temps.

Listen to the bike, it will give you feedback. If you go in to a corner and find yourself adjusting as you are turning in too quickly then you could have carried more corner speed. If you find you are going out wide on longer bends you may be getting on the accelerator too early. Just feel the bike and get the lines right. Make small adjustments only!

Do the sighting laps, do the first session to really find out where the corners are, then get an instructor to go out with you and show you where the real turn in, apex and exit points are. If it's your first time you'll shave 10 seconds off just by beiong smooth and accurate.

Have fun, breath, smile and drink water. Job done
Old 13-06-12, 10:54 AM   #14
jambo
Mega Poster

The above is good advice

Here are my thoughts having had a fair few novices with me at track days:

1) Make sure your bike is roadworthy before you turn up. Tyres aren't bald, chain isn't shagged, brake pads aren't goosed etc. This then frees you up to enjoy the day.
2) Everyone will talk about suspension settings and tyre pressures. The settings you have work fine on the road, they'll work on track, maybe later in the day if it's hot dropping a little air out will be helpful but it won't be nearly as important as relaxing and finding the right lines.
3) It's not a race, almost everyone I've ever seen crash has been trying to prove something to someone when it happened.
4) Your bike is capable of mind-bending things. If you find yourself going in a bit too quick, breathe, tip in, and try anyway. Look where you want to go. You will usually find yourself out the other side, still on the bike.
5) If you feel tired or like you can't get into a rhythm on a session, consider coming in early or missing a session to have a break.
6) Build up speed session by session, you've got the whole day to get quicker. Sticking the bike back together with gaffa tape after session 1 will put a crimp in your whole day.

Jambo

P.S. Of course it's a race, and bragging rights are at stake. You have to be faster than your mates. This is important Though how important and whether you choose to ignore all other advice and go with this thought will pretty much determine how your day goes...
Old 13-06-12, 01:55 PM   #15
Small Clanger

Youtube. Have a look at "John Kirkham Onboard Snetterton 300"
It was the best one I found for learning the circuit.

Cafe opens at 7.30. Get in there at 7.31 before the marshalls.

Careful at the left/tight right after the bridge.

Last edited by Small Clanger; 13-06-12 at 02:16 PM.
Old 13-06-12, 03:37 PM   #16
maviczap
Mega Poster

Last tip, ride to the noise test & around the back of the garages with your helmet on. Sadly a rider died after hitting his head on concrete at Snet, after a minor spill in the garage area.

Don't worry about fuel, you can buy it there, is a bit more expensive.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-12, 06:53 PM   #17
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Get there early enough to get signed on and noise tested before the briefing. This'll give you 40mins to chill out, get something to eat and organise your thoughts before your first session.

Nothing worse than rushing to get out on track.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-12, 09:39 PM   #18
charlie34

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm probably gonna go in the van, so I can sort the bike before hand so its ready for noise testing.

I really can't wait, I used to race karts but not for a while now, so looking forward to getting back on track.

Not looking forward to the eary start though!
Old 14-06-12, 09:29 AM   #19
Whitty

Lots of good advice already given. My main ones are get there early, signed on and noise tested. It's horrible rushing, I have done it loads of times and you end up forgetting stupid things like pressures or fastening your helmet strap! Take mirrors off, even folded in they seem to be in the way. Tape over speedo, it will distract you and make you panic when you see how fast you're going(I still keep mine covered now I race) Have a back up can, I used to have an art one and it was very loud. Get a tatty 2nd hand one off eBay, it will come in at quieter tracks in future. A big help to me was what I thought was obvious, BREATHE! When you are on your first few laps you will be tense as hell and hardly breathing. You need oxygen for your muscles and brain to work properly. Still have to remind myself now sometimes.
Old 15-06-12, 08:34 AM   #20
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Lose the wing mirrors and indies altogether before going out, if you do bin it, just replacing that stuff alone can cost you enough for another trackday and for the sake of 5 mins spannering it's something else off your mind.

I've done a few trackdays now and in the afternoons especially, have been known to come in a lap or so before the end if I'm feeling goosed.

Never used Trackmaster, but RaceChrono is now available on Android. It's still being developed to the point where it was on the Nokias and will soon have the ability to overlay gauges onto any onboard video you take, but it's a great package in the beta version right now.

Maybe think about getting a cheapo (£15) bullet camera to lash onto the bike so you can watch back when you get home?
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote