SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-12-07, 06:21 PM   #1
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Health and Safety Howlers

I have just read this report in the local rag and it made me really laugh! The though of someone being so nit-picking as to actually tell Santa to belt up makes me realise that Christmas is not just for the kids, it's for small minded, officious pompous do-gooders to get their kicks over too. You can just imagine the meeting where it was decided;

Tarquin; "Yah, I insist he wears an appropriate restraint, he has to convey all the right messages including health and safety"

Opheilia "Oh Tarquin, you are sooo right of course!"

Cue smug looks of self appreciation all 'round.

Anyone else got a good one?

Last edited by Bluepete; 10-12-07 at 06:24 PM.
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 06:26 PM   #2
El Saxo

Default Re: Health and Safety Howlers

Oh FFS! Had to be in Wigan didn't it?
Old 10-12-07, 06:38 PM   #3
G
Mega Poster

Nothing to do with Health & Safety regulations...........people stick 'due to H&S' on the end of things as some way of justifying a completely rediculous decision......and its this type of bull**** that gives the profession such a bad name.

Some retired old **** is probably being paid a small retainer for his services by the rotary club, they have questioned whether he actually does anything for his money, as most of them do nothing other than produce a generic H&S policy off the internet. This has caused him to come out of the woodwork to flex his ageing bones, he does a risk assessment and makes the decision that traveling a 4mph on a float warrants the mandatory use of a seatbelt..........idiot board members within the rotary club who know no better and rely on this plank for competent safety advice take his word on it....... the result is bull**** like this.

I could go on but RANT OVER
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-07, 06:52 PM   #4
Flamin_Squirrel

The problem, you see, with all this H&S is as much as the majority see it as absurd, that isn't gonna stop most people from trying to make a fast buck from a frivolous law suit if they get the chance. Can't really blame politicians/employers etc, they're just trying to avoid getting sued.
Old 10-12-07, 07:20 PM   #5
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
Can't really blame politicians/employers etc, they're just trying to avoid getting sued.
I know what you mean! We get all sorts of training in "diversity" which teaches us racist, homophobic, mysogenistic Cops how to speak without insulting anyone.

The only reason for it is so that if we do make a comment perceived as racist etc, the job passes the buck to us with the line "the officer is fully aware of the need for sensitivity. See, he (or she) attended a course and signed the attendance sheet"

It's a new political game spawned by a childrens favourite. Pass the buck rather than pass the parcel.
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 07:54 AM   #6
svpilot

My local sports center now has stickers on all the glass doors (next to the ' smoking' 'push' and 'entrance' stickers that now state...

'Warning glass door'

I mean if the coating of sweaty hand prints doesn't give the game away, the 'floating' handle and stickers, might provide a clue.
Old 11-12-07, 07:59 AM   #7
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpilot View Post
My local sports center now has stickers on all the glass doors (next to the ' smoking' 'push' and 'entrance' stickers that now state...

'Warning glass door'

I mean if the coating of sweaty hand prints doesn't give the game away, the 'floating' handle and stickers, might provide a clue.
On a similar note, we have an internal door in our office at the top of a stairwell, the top half of which is a clear glass window, complete with a sign stuck to the glass that reads 'Take care opening this door, there may be someone on the other side'.
Old 11-12-07, 09:29 AM   #8
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePete View Post
It's a new political game spawned by a childrens favourite. Pass the buck rather than pass the parcel.
Yep, I agree 100%. It's not actually about H&S, it's so when it goes tits-up, they can say, "well, we sent him on the course, what else do you want us to do?"

Where I worked before we had a ludicrous contraption to lift the metal lid off a hole. The lid was heavy and took 2 men to lift it, but we were labourers, fit and knew how to lift without giving ourselves a hernia. H&S clown comes along and dictates that we need to lift it using this chain lift contraption (a bit like for lifting engines), which, aside from being expensive and hugely time consuming to use, was actually a great deal more dangerous. The hole was in a walled field and we had to carry this damned chain lift over the wall each time.
Old 11-12-07, 09:32 AM   #9
gettin2dizzy

H&S saves lives. End of :
Old 11-12-07, 02:45 PM   #10
Daimo

When I was Dubai i was informed about the vast lack of health and saftey laws there.....

Funny how they are still building some of the best buildings in the world, and the tallest, and those islands, and the World island.. Our office, to say that "cabling" was just everywhere is an understatment.

My point is, no H+S and it all works out there, its being developed faster than anything in this country. No-one really cares. And suprise suprise, it works...