SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-11-07, 03:03 AM   #41
bigvern

Default Re: Drinking

I'm a glass of wine (or 2) a night person, except when I'm at work (never drink on a school night).

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings, and its only binge drinking if you stop.
Old 09-11-07, 08:13 AM   #42
Alpinestarhero

I rarely rarely rarely drink, and if I do its only one pint with my dad for the whole year. Most of the reason behind my abstinence from drinking is because of alot of peoples attitude to it (im sick of people moaning "i got such a hangover, i was so wasted last night"...dont friggin drink so much moron!). I don't mind people drinking though, as long as they dont get drunk (i cant stand drunk people, I feel quite threatened as I find most drunk people to be unpredictable)

I guess a safe level is a glass of wine or two, a can of beer or two, a small glass of whisky, something like that. Enough to enjoy it and savour in the taste, but not enough to make you feel a bit...tipsy. My parents share a bottle of wine between them some nights, and thats enough I think

Matt
Old 09-11-07, 08:28 AM   #43
gettin2dizzy

Old 09-11-07, 08:32 AM   #44
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Enough to enjoy it and savour in the taste...
Matt
The thing is I dont think beer, wine, spirits are the best tasting drinks in the world anyway. Tea, coffe, or even lemonade tastes better.
Old 09-11-07, 08:35 AM   #45
kwak zzr

I find i drink more when the kids are off school or when they are just behaving badly, it chills me out abit and stops the stress coming on.
Old 09-11-07, 08:42 AM   #46
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonsta View Post
The thing is I dont think beer, wine, spirits are the best tasting drinks in the world anyway. Tea, coffe, or even lemonade tastes better.
I'm of the same opinion, I'd rather drink cola than beer or any other alchoholic drink. But some people are into that sort of thing, understanding the tastes of ales and wines, wihch i think is a nice way to distract yourself from just drinking to get drunk.

Matt
Old 09-11-07, 08:45 AM   #47
Pedro68

Me and the missus go through a few bottles of red wine (and possibly some lagers) at the weekend. Don't generally drink during the week (school-nights n all that). Just depends how we are feeling. Some weekend evenings we will only have a bottle between us, and others we could have 2,3, or 4.

I spent almost 5 years working in pubs and so I've done my fair share of drinking, getting drunk to the point where I honestly don't remember what happened the previous night, and I've done some downright ridiculous things fuelled by alcohol (like attempting to walk home through the Mersey Tunnels and many more however thankfully, none of them got me arrested LOL) ... although my boss wasn't impressed when I had most of the day off (not starting work til 8pm) and decided it would be a good idea to spend the afternoon (from about midday) in the pub, "just having a quick drink or two", which then turned into several. I worked my shift and broke more glasses in one shift than I had in the previous 3 years Boss wanted to send me home, but as it was 10pm I insisted on finishing my shift ... which I did ... and then went clubbing

I've also spent some time in a relationship with an alcoholic and so I know the dangers ALL TOO WELL.

I agree that children should be raised WITH alcohol (not ON alcohol) so that as someone said, "it doesn't become this mysterious liquid that only adults are allowed". Take the mystery out of it and I think the nation would at least have a chance of changing its binge-drinking heritage. It's no wonder so many people choose to leave these shores.

My $0.02 worth
Old 09-11-07, 08:48 AM   #48
keithd

i've been ill lately so i've drunk nowt, but up til recently i'd prolly drink about 3 or 4 cans of grolsch on a school night, then at weekends prolly, no, easily double that.

i go thru phases tho. now im in a drink a lot during the week phase, but i often have drink virtually nothing, an occassional glass of plop with dinner. but right now my work load is horrendous and i really enjoy the taste of a chilled lager when i walk thru the door at night. i've worked hard for it, i deserve it, no fecker is going to tell me i can't have it cos i had too much two days ago.

cheers
Old 09-11-07, 08:53 AM   #49
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro68 View Post

I agree that children should be raised WITH alcohol (not ON alcohol) so that as someone said, "it doesn't become this mysterious liquid that only adults are allowed". Take the mystery out of it and I think the nation would at least have a chance of changing its binge-drinking heritage. It's no wonder so many people choose to leave these shores.

My $0.02 worth
My parents were like this, letting us kids drink under their supervision at meal times and stuff. We discovered what we liked and what we didnt, and it wasnt a naughty or rebelious thing to do, so none of us sneaked out to get bladdered (the first time i got really drunk...yea, i used to drink a in my teens when I was "discovering booze"...was at a family party. My mum had to help me get home, all my dad did was offer me more beer to take away the taste of sick!!). I quickly grew tired of drinking, and grew tired of seeing the effects of alchohol on other people (people become nasty or just embaresing) so I didnt drink anymore. Maria dosnt drink alcohol either, so I guess that dosnt encourage me to drink aswell.

Plus I spend all day around solvents in chem labs, so its nice to get away from them

Did you know that by putting methanol in ethanol, you can avoid paying duty on ethanol?

Matt
Old 09-11-07, 09:43 AM   #50
Daimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
I only drink if I am going out on the lash, that means some weeks my intake is zero. I really don't see the point in 'just a few' ... you either go out and get lashed/have a good time, or why bother?

To be fair after about 3hrs of drinking these days all I want to do is ...

Soooooo agree I don't really go down the pub anymore, and i'll have soft drink as im usually driving. As you say, go the whole hog, or not at all. And take advantage at Xmas do's ha ha

After going down the pub and watching the RWC not long ago, by the time we'd get home after the afternoon match, and sit down ready for the evening game, i'd just want to go to sleep