SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-07-20, 04:46 PM   #11
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Garages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I bought one of the Pent Mansard garages from Lidget Compton last year. The Grimsby agent (who lives in Doncaster) was responsible for the concrete base. It was installed when we had that exceptionally wet period last Sept-Oct and I had problems with damp coming under the walls. Lidget and the agent were eager to resolve the problem and an extra fillet was added internally plus a concrete sealant. Since I'm a pessimist I then applied a liquid damp proof membrane (DPM) around the edges and then a 2 part polyurethane paint over the whole floor - decided I didn't like the painted floor and used plastic tiles.

Initially the garage was very damp - (I keep a hygrometer in there) so I bought a dessicant dehumidifier and kept the bike in its "oxygen" tent at a constant 60%rH
After a few months the garage humidity dropped to outside levels. The roof is supported by metal beams but you couldn't hang anything heavy from them. You can't screw into the walls either.

The garage works and looks pretty good but I can't say I'm impressed by the construction - the panels are held together by long bolts but each panel is vertically reinforced at the edges and is finished at a 45° angle - so the bolt that pulls the panels together bends under tension - they should supply 45° wedges so that the bolt is pulled squarely, imho.
Thanks Seeker, I think it's your garage I read about on here and had in mind on this. They're also my fears with a garage - weight and affixing things to the walls. Even block built garages I've ply lined before to allow hanging, if it's thin metal I didn't that would be an option. Is it insulated? I don't think quick temperature changes help with humidity
Old 15-07-20, 04:51 PM   #12
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I bought one of the Pent Mansard garages from Lidget Compton last year. The Grimsby agent (who lives in Doncaster) was responsible for the concrete base. It was installed when we had that exceptionally wet period last Sept-Oct and I had problems with damp coming under the walls. Lidget and the agent were eager to resolve the problem and an extra fillet was added internally plus a concrete sealant. Since I'm a pessimist I then applied a liquid damp proof membrane (DPM) around the edges and then a 2 part polyurethane paint over the whole floor - decided I didn't like the painted floor and used plastic tiles.

Initially the garage was very damp - (I keep a hygrometer in there) so I bought a dessicant dehumidifier and kept the bike in its "oxygen" tent at a constant 60%rH
After a few months the garage humidity dropped to outside levels. The roof is supported by metal beams but you couldn't hang anything heavy from them. You can't screw into the walls either.

The garage works and looks pretty good but I can't say I'm impressed by the construction - the panels are held together by long bolts but each panel is vertically reinforced at the edges and is finished at a 45° angle - so the bolt that pulls the panels together bends under tension - they should supply 45° wedges so that the bolt is pulled squarely, imho.
Also, did they do the base? And if so did they put a DPC under the concrete?
https://www.lidget.co.uk/prepare-concrete-garage-base/
Old 15-07-20, 05:23 PM   #13
SV650rules
Mega Poster

How about one of these

https://www.portablespace.co.uk/shop...40ft-container

Totally weather proof and good security, the hi cube ones are taller...

Depending on your needs maybe a 20 footer would do..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 15-07-20 at 05:25 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-20, 05:38 PM   #14
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Also, did they do the base? And if so did they put a DPC under the concrete?
https://www.lidget.co.uk/prepare-concrete-garage-base/

The new garage was replacing an older, existing Compton model (Lidget took over Compton) which already had a good base. A new base was installed on top of the old base and raised slightly (at my request). The new base concrete was treated with a liquid sealant but there wasn't any extra plastic membrane/damp proof course fitted. Since the original garage was 40 odd years old I don't know if a membrane was fitted - I had damp issues with the old one but that was roof/window and wall leaks. The salesman who sold the garage also installed the base.

The garage sits on a concrete raft which is about 3 inches wider than the garage and the damp issues I had was when water would run underneath the walls. Whether the rain caused it I don't know but the raft had sunk slightly so it tended to funnel the rainfall towards and under the walls.
After the concrete truck had delivered the load and the workmen finished leveling it resumed raining and then continued to rain every day for nearly 2 weeks. The garage was assembled 1 month later on a dry day and then... it started raining again.
I had to wait a couple of months (because:rain) before they could return to seal the walls/floor meet-up with a fillet/and liquid sealer which took care of the issue. I've had no problems since.

My neighbour across the street had the next model down Lidget installed 6 months or so before mine and the only problem she had was because it was installed during a heatwave/extended dry spell (!) and the raft developed a crack - no leaks though
Old 16-07-20, 09:51 AM   #15
timwilky
Mega Poster

Perhaps a slightly different "Damp" issue with my garage.

You see where the rear tyre on the left sits. A workshop pit! It is full of water. Whenever I drain it, a month later it is full. So obviously below the water table despite my next door neighbour's patio being 7ft lower than my ground level. I need to re-concrete the drive. So seriously considering cutting in a drain to the pit first.

Next garage issue. Junk. the daughters other push bike. That small toolbox on the right because the wife ejected my everyday tools from the house and I need to shift them. The dryer because there is no room in the kitchen but at least vented to the outside world. All meaning it is a pain in the neck to use the pit in the first place!

I need a bigger garage.
Old 16-07-20, 09:55 AM   #16
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
How about one of these

https://www.portablespace.co.uk/shop...40ft-container

Totally weather proof and good security, the hi cube ones are taller...

Depending on your needs maybe a 20 footer would do..
Thanks, I've always thought they are the best option fot bike storage bang for buck but I've got the opportunity to make something quite long lasting and large (wanting to put home gym stuff in there) so think I'll be bespoke building something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post

You see where the rear tyre on the left sits. A workshop pit! It is full of water. Whenever I drain it, a month later it is full. So obviously below the water table despite my next door neighbour's patio being 7ft lower than my ground level. I need to re-concrete the drive. So seriously considering cutting in a drain to the pit first.

Next garage issue. Junk. the daughters other push bike. That small toolbox on the right because the wife ejected my everyday tools from the house and I need to shift them. The dryer because there is no room in the kitchen but at least vented to the outside world. All meaning it is a pain in the neck to use the pit in the first place!

I need a bigger garage.
All useful feedback, I've been very rigorous in my planning up until now and been cautious not to have children. I'm going to go with the largest thing I can which happens to be 30m2. It's just what to build it out of really and how to not get stung by planning.
Old 16-07-20, 07:02 PM   #17
SV650rules
Mega Poster

@timwilky methinks you need one of these ( or similar )
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CLARKE-ELEC.../dp/B008R8YGYS

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-20, 06:47 AM   #18
shiftin_gear98

Or one of these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/134-ltr-c...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 17-07-20, 01:15 PM   #19
keith_d
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post

Sounds like your pit wasn't properly sealed in the first place. Best bet could be to dig a sump in the floor of the pit and install a waterproof electric pump with a float switch.

Just my thoughts,

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote