SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-07-20, 01:46 PM   #21
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: 110 miles on MT09SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
....but he didn't sound impressed with the bike, in his experience Yamaha's marketing far outperformed the product. .....
He's in business as well you know..... He's not exactly going to tell you it's a great bike with the best suspension ever and there is nothing he can do for you......

Did you get a chance to see what tyres it's on?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 02:44 PM   #22
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Did you get a chance to see what tyres it's on?
Bridgestone Battlax S20.
I usually fit Avon Storm 3D X-M on the SV, they're durable and made in UK. I doubt these Bridgestones will last 4k miles judging by tread depth.
Old 21-07-20, 05:57 PM   #23
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

The stock tyres that came with it?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 05:59 PM   #24
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I know you're only done a few miles on the OE tyres but before you spend a whole load of money having potentially irreversible changes done to your suspension why not splash out on a different set of tyres and just see if they give you what they want? You should be able to pick up a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4's for around £250 and if you were to run them with perhaps 38psi rear and 34 front (assuming you're solo) you might be surprised at the difference it makes, especially if you set the suspension to the manuals "soft" settings. The best thing is it's completely reversible, you just need to keep the old tyres to put back on if the fancy takes you.......
Old 21-07-20, 07:15 PM   #25
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Bridgestone Battlax S20.
I usually fit Avon Storm 3D X-M on the SV, they're durable and made in UK. I doubt these Bridgestones will last 4k miles judging by tread depth.
Fitting Avon Storm 3D XM was the best thing I did to SV, £152 for the pair and £12 each for fitting, much better than the stock Dunlop Qualifiers that came with the bike.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 08:08 PM   #26
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Weird isn't it, I wanted to have a bit of a play with some mates on the road last weekend so just for a laugh decided to dig out my SV. I had a rummage around in the roof of the garage to see if I could put it on some suitable road tyres and found an old Bridgestone S20 rear, and a Dunlop Qualifier front, the two tyres we're giving a hard time on here! Both tyres have got to be a fair few years old (must confess didn't actually check the dates on them) but they still had good profiles so I dusted them off and gave them an outing. Admittedly they had been stored in the dark so hadn't gone hard but they worked really well together, no shortage of feel or grip and gave me more than enough confidence to take the proper pi55 on them! I think you would be hard pushed to find a bad tyre these days, but without a doubt there are differences in how they feel so it's just a case of finding a particular set that suits your preference.
Old 21-07-20, 08:27 PM   #27
yokohama

The rear Battlax S20 was gone at just under 3,500 on my XSR900 and I don't ride like a hooligan either.
What pressures are you running? I think Yamaha recommend 36 & 42 and that's on a bike which doesn't weigh much more than the SV. Reducing the pressure might help a little.

I chose the XSR900 over the MT09 as i preferred the looks and it was supposed to have better suspension, a less snatchy throttle response and improved fuelling map. Throttle response is mostly smooth but I have very similar suspension issues to you.
I'd read on some forums that the suspension was firm and I'm only around 65kg so when I picked it up, I asked the dealer to soften the rear preload a couple of notches for me. They refused saying they preferred the customer to ride it on factory settings first and then decide, which I took to be doublespeak for liability avoidance should any mishap occur. Anyway, I rode it home steadily in the pouring rain and on A roads. It was fine.
A couple of days later I took it out on in the Dales on some B roads and was pottering along when there was a huge bang and I was lifted a few inches out of the saddle, both feet came off the pegs and i retrospect, probably quite fortunate not to come off. I'd hit my first bump, pothole or whatever and as I continued, the firmness of the suspension became much more noticeable.
Once I got home, I found both tyres were over the recommended pressures so changed those, backed off the rear preload to minimum, softened the rebound and it's improved but still too firm. Any bump and I get a serious kick up the butt.
The front is slightly better. Preload is reduced (I haven't played with the rebound yet) and I can just about live with it but the rear is possibly too stiff for my weight, does spoil the experience and is becoming increasingly irritating.
There's a suspension guy in Leeds who seems to have a good rep for setting bikes up so I'm thinking of trying him before I look at more serious investment. Otherwise it might have to be a new rear shock. There's lots of suspension talk on FZ09.org forum. Most guys on there seem to put Andreani kits in the front and Nitron/Ohlins units on the rear.

I thought I'd let you know you're not alone but having paid extra for a bike with supposedly upgraded and adjustable suspension, I can understand your frustration. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it might have been better to buy the standard MT09 and then let Reactive upgrade the suspension with springs and settings specifically suited to your weight.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-20, 06:54 AM   #28
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
What pressures are you running? I think Yamaha recommend 36 & 42
When I picked it up it was set 33/39 (hmm) so set them to what the bike says on its sticker (cunningly located underneath the rear subframe cover) 36/42 but I think I'm going to reduce that back to 33/39.

I'm beginning to think that when Yamaha describe the bike as being from the Dark Side of Japan - they mean it was partially built in the dark and wasn't fully tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
I can understand your frustration.
I think that frustration is what gripes me the most. I spent a time reading road tests, watching videos, looking at specs - so it was a "head" choice not a "heart" choice". I didn't get a test ride since the dealer didn't have any "SP" models but would it have made a difference? I would have probably thought the ride quality was just a matter of adjustment. The only reason I bought this bike was for the suspension - I don't need the power, the SV is fine in that regard (for me). Modifying your hindsight suggestion I would have been better off buying another SV and having that suspension rebuilt/inserts added.

I'll persevere, I have still only done 200 miles - I've put the settings back to what they were on delivery and I'll only adjust one at a time which is what I should have done in the first place (instead of trusting the manual).

One magazine - I cannot remember which one, used to road test a bike with 3 different riders of varying size/weight which made it a little easier to see if it would suit you.
Old 22-07-20, 09:10 AM   #29
redtrummy

'I'm beginning to think that when Yamaha describe the bike as being from the Dark Side of Japan - they mean it was partially built in the dark and wasn't fully tested.'

Now I did find that funny
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-20, 11:31 AM   #30
Bibio
Mega Poster

its 90% rebound 10% compression. harsh ride quality is due to the rebound being too slow (hard).

if the springs are not for your weight then you MUST change the springs or put up with it as is. yes that includes new bikes that you have just spent mega bucks on.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote