SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-08-08, 09:26 AM   #1
DanDare

Default Serving notice

I wanted to get the opinions of fellow orgers;

I have been offered a new job which I cannot refuse, however they want me to start in just over a weeks time. Trouble is my existing employer wants 4 weeks notice. How do I play this, I do not want to upset my current boss and she's been very good to me, however I don't want to miss this opportunity.

Is there a legal standing on this issue, what the worse that can happen?

Has anyone else been in this situation of offer advice.
Old 07-08-08, 09:41 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Serving notice

Well as always, talk to your boss about it. She may be able to waive the notice period. Also the new employer is being un-reasonable if they expect you to just be able to start at the drop of a hat. Anyone they employ for this role will probably need to serve a notice period. Negotiate with both employers to achieve a mutually beneficial end/start date.

Another option is to use any leave owing to shorten your notice period, so you start your new job while on holiday from current job. You get paid twice, but end up with no leave for a while.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 09:51 AM   #3
Warthog

Seems a bit unfair of the new job to ask you to start so soon. I'd do waht Luckypants says.
Old 07-08-08, 10:00 AM   #4
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
I wanted to get the opinions of fellow orgers;

I have been offered a new job which I cannot refuse, however they want me to start in just over a weeks time. Trouble is my existing employer wants 4 weeks notice. How do I play this, I do not want to upset my current boss and she's been very good to me, however I don't want to miss this opportunity.

Is there a legal standing on this issue, what the worse that can happen?

Has anyone else been in this situation of offer advice.
What notice period does your current contract stipulate?

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 10:03 AM   #5
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

To be honest, if the new company really want you, they will wait. But as above, check what your current employer states and then talk to the new company.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 10:15 AM   #6
DanDare

I need to give 4 weeks notice but they ideally want me to start on the eighteenth of this month. The training course starts 1st September and thats none negiotiable. To start on the 18th is to give me a feel for the place but I don't see why it can't wait till after my course.
Old 07-08-08, 11:35 AM   #7
Ed

No one can force you to work for them. But the very worst is that you quit, they hire someone else to do the job and send you a bill for the cost.

Oh yeah, if you need a reference from them then don't expect a glowing testimonial, they might well say that you let them down.
Old 07-08-08, 11:52 AM   #8
Davido

Say your mother has become drastically ill and you need to find a job closer to where she lives (100 miles away) so that you can take care of her.

Cry lots. Bring kleenex (for the crying, unless your boss is hot).
Old 07-08-08, 02:55 PM   #9
chakraist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davido View Post
Bring kleenex (for the crying, unless your boss is hot).
Excellent
Old 07-08-08, 03:02 PM   #10
Viper

I had this happen to me. My new employer wanted me straight away and my old employer wanted full notice.
I said to the new employer that i was a fair and loyal chap and felt it only right that i serve a period of notice, this went down well with the new employer as he could see i was not one to dump people in the crap and i wanted to do what was "right.
I told my old employer that i had enjoyed my time with them and hoped that they understood i was trying to better myself and hoped with all the good service i had given them that they might bend the rules a tiny bit.

both parties saw sense and i cut my notice period in half and both sides got part of what they wanted

HTH