SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-05-05, 12:29 PM   #1
the oaf

Default Total list of engine/power enhancing mods for SV650 gen 1

By the end of the year I will have finished all the major cosmetic and outer performance modifications to my bike (with the exception of Oz wheels and custom trellis swingarm), and will be looking to finally increase the power. The motor is absolutely standard at the moment, so exactly what can be done to it and what kind of gains can I expect... I'm seriously considering an 800cc re-bore.

Cheers.
Old 27-05-05, 12:55 PM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

There are a number of options of varying price and return... (I hope you've spent some cash on the suspension, sound like it)

Get the ignition advancer, it's less than £50 fitted and will give a good dollop of bottom end, with a bit more everywhere.

Loud can/filter/dyno setup. Ideally get a whole new pipe for the best shaped torque curve.

Hotter cams - there are details on here for how the later model cams fit the earlier ones with a similar effect, you'll have to check out if you can do it, otherwise you'd just have to fork out for it. Get more top end with these.

Big bore kits, 700-800cc. Loads more bottom end, not a lot more top end as the heads and valvegear etc. are all 650cc-sized. You can get bigger valves and so on but then you're talking serious cash. To give you an idea, my 1999 bike with Akro system puts out about 1bhp peak less than my mate's almost identical SV700, though he has up to 20% extra bottom end torque.

Nitrous. For about £600 it'll blow your head off, over a short distance. Sounds stupid but think about horsepower divided by £££!

Don't forget you'll want things like stronger engine studs, maybe gasflowing if you're really serious/wealthy, quickshifter, that kind of thing. Let's face it, if it was all about money anyone who wants more go buys a bigger bike, but where's the fun in that?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-05, 01:29 PM   #3
the oaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod
There are a number of options of varying price and return... (I hope you've spent some cash on the suspension, sound like it)

Get the ignition advancer, it's less than £50 fitted and will give a good dollop of bottom end, with a bit more everywhere.

Loud can/filter/dyno setup. Ideally get a whole new pipe for the best shaped torque curve.

Hotter cams - there are details on here for how the later model cams fit the earlier ones with a similar effect, you'll have to check out if you can do it, otherwise you'd just have to fork out for it. Get more top end with these.

Big bore kits, 700-800cc. Loads more bottom end, not a lot more top end as the heads and valvegear etc. are all 650cc-sized. You can get bigger valves and so on but then you're talking serious cash. To give you an idea, my 1999 bike with Akro system puts out about 1bhp peak less than my mate's almost identical SV700, though he has up to 20% extra bottom end torque.

Nitrous. For about £600 it'll blow your head off, over a short distance. Sounds stupid but think about horsepower divided by £££!

Don't forget you'll want things like stronger engine studs, maybe gasflowing if you're really serious/wealthy, quickshifter, that kind of thing. Let's face it, if it was all about money anyone who wants more go buys a bigger bike, but where's the fun in that?
I've got an Ohlins rear shock, and Ohlins fork internals, Brembo master cylinders, front and rear, wavy discs and sintered pads front and rear (though they're not yet fitted on the front), Renthal re-toothed sprockets for more accelaration, and a rip-snortingly loud custom, one-off, 2 into 1 into 4 high level full exhaust (though not yet dyno'd).

Looking to get all performance mods done at the same time, and am willing to put in about 2 to 2 and a half grand max (not really bothered about nitrous though),and have been waiting until everything possible is done before taking it to Crescent for the dyno and final fine-tuning, so have absolutley no idea how much power I'm up on standard already.

What does a quickshifter do (though I assume it speeds up gear changes in some way), and how much does it cost?
Old 31-05-05, 03:48 PM   #4
madEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by the oaf
What does a quickshifter do (though I assume it speeds up gear changes in some way), and how much does it cost?
Quick shifters: http://www.powercommander.com/quickshift.shtml
madEG is offline   Reply With Quote