SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-09-17, 07:33 PM   #11
sv robbo

Default Re: Preload on standard forks & shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
You should get new fork springs, but if the rear is anything like the curvy, 4 or so on preload is fine. The difference with the rear is the rising rate linkage - more preload means a bouncier ride with less damping, a bit less means a better balance of both. Check the damping in the back shock hasn't gone - they don't have a reputation for longevity.
Many thanks for the advice.

Am on track tomorrow so left the front on max preload with 0 rings showing (this was my concern with a lot of dive when shutting off the gas/braking last time out) & set the rear preload on notch 5 (was on notch 3, didn't notice much movement here, just felt the bike sat quite low), I can go up or back down from here I guess.

Cheers, Robbo
Old 18-09-17, 08:18 PM   #12
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Unfortunately it's a poor ride on track with your setup, it'll do on the road, but even then the fork springs show up. If you intend to do track days (I don't mean loads, i do 1-2 a year) then I'd look into a GSXR front end, which is relatively easy on a pointy, and an aftermarket rear shock. New fork springs are cheap and easy though, a front end is more of a project, but you'd get the better brakes to boot.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-17, 10:12 AM   #13
Tomcatracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilo View Post
Ive read about fitting a ZX shock etc but can anybody recommend somebody to rebuild the original shock, if so what's the cost?
Thanks
Don't bother with the original, it's pants.

There are various articles and youtube videos about fitting other shocks, GSXR are popular. However they all seem to have a remote reservoir at the top which forces you to make a cutout in the battery box. Aftermarket shocks are designed to fit without cutting stuff about. Cheapest one I've found is the Hagon (which I have just fitted to my bike) but the more expensive ones which presumably perform better/longer can cost quite a lot.

Then you should really upgrade the forks or you'll still be riding half a pogo stick. The cheapest mods you can do to improve these is to fit K-Tech 9,0 KN springs and 15wt fork oil with a 150mm air gap.
Old 19-09-17, 05:31 PM   #14
Stilo

Ive read a lot of posts about rear shocks & they are a bit like buying a kitchen,the more you look at the more confused you get.
I am not a speed god & the bike will not be used on a track, how do i know if the original shock is no good? I have been offered a ZX7r that has been serviced for not a lot of money, does anybody know if it will fit & if the ZX7r shock is any good?
Old 19-09-17, 06:53 PM   #15
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Search! There are endless threads on here about shocks. Bounce the back end, if it pings straight back up then the damping has gone. You'll fail the MoT for it - once they start to go, it doesn't take long. As for replacements, either another bike (search for lists, match the spring weight as best you can, curvies are different to pointies in the respect). For aftermarket, on the road, most will do, you won't notice extra quality between them, but you will notice the difference from stock.
Old 20-09-17, 07:28 PM   #16
Stilo

Ive done a search & got loads of conflicting advice. I am rebuilding an accident damaged bike, the front end is out so I can't bounce the back end & I dont know if the shocks (Ive got 2) are OK or not. I thought that while the bike was in bits I would do any sensible upgrades.
Old 20-09-17, 07:42 PM   #17
Tomcatracing

I'm doing much the same, working on the basis that that standard shock is pretty poor from new, let alone after years of use.
Old 20-09-17, 08:36 PM   #18
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

All you can really do at this point then is check the chrome shaft for oil leakage. Any more than a bit of a tide mark and it's likely to be toast.
Old 21-09-17, 06:48 AM   #19
DomP

We should arrange a Nitron group buy!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 21-09-17, 04:34 PM   #20
Stilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
All you can really do at this point then is check the chrome shaft for oil leakage. Any more than a bit of a tide mark and it's likely to be toast.
OK thanks