SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-06-06, 04:30 PM   #1
Villers

Default K6 SVS and new member!!

Hi,

This is my first post, so HELLO EVERONE!!! Im normally on BCF and used to own a CBR600 before I had a bit of a spill at the end of february. I have since become an SV650S K6 owner in a silvery blue colour, after 4 weeks of ownership Ive just got up to 400 miles (busy man) and can't wait for the rev restrictions to move up!! The bike is still totally standard (other than the idiot stickers have been removed 'unleaded fuel only' etc ) and even still has those pathetic dunlops that they come with - Im booked in for some better tyres this week so if anyone wants to make an offer on the dunlops feel free.

I was wanting to go for a CCC slip on can as Ive always had aftermarket exhausts on my bikes. From looking around the forum though it appears that the term 'slip on' is very loose, and actually means 'take a hacksaw to the link pipe'. Is this true of all models of sv650's? Im starting to think that whatever will fit the K5 bike will also fit my K6?

I know there is a search function and Ive tried looking for K6 related threads but it turns up blank, so hopefully one of you will be able to put me out of my misery!

Thanks for any help
Old 11-06-06, 05:02 PM   #2
Stig

Hi and welcome to the site.

Yes "slip on" is used loosely. Yes you do have to hack the end can off. Yes the K6 and K5 bikes are the same in relation to fitting exhausts.

Consider yourself out of misery.
Old 11-06-06, 05:19 PM   #3
Villers

Cheers, its a bit ridiculous to have to take a hacksaw to a brand new bike to change the can!!

Thanks for the info though, think CCC will be missing out on a sale though!
Old 11-06-06, 05:43 PM   #4
Speedy
Mega Poster

Hi Villers!!!!

Welcome and enjoy the .Org!

I felt the same about hacking a perfectly good exhaust system up,so I was naughty and got me a full aftermarket system!

Did you take the 'idiot' sticker off the RHS of the rear of the fairing?(If you know what I mean!?)
Did it leave 'stickiness'? I've tried everything to get the residue off,as the plastic is textured,it seems to leave bits behind! Mines not sticky now,but you can see where it was!

Anyway,good choice of beast!

Speedy
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 06:15 PM   #5
pingu

A little WD40 does wonders to remove any sticky stuff
Old 11-06-06, 06:47 PM   #6
Speedy
Mega Poster

Hi pingu!

Been there done that,it's like little bits of white fibres thats left,only tiny!

You can just see where the sticker was!
Old 11-06-06, 07:30 PM   #7
Villers

Speedy, are you talking about the one on the black plastic next to where the access bit for the lamps are? If so ive not yet taken that off becuase the other ones were a pain in the ****.

What I would reccomend is giving it the hairdryer treatment to warm it up (so that the greasy stuff can be pushed around), you will then need something to remove the residue. I would normally use petrol if it was on the paintwork but Im not sure about the black plastic. Ive also used a very weak degreaser from hammerite for the same purpose but it is exactly that - weak!

Im not going to push myself as far as a whole system, I plainly dont have the cash at the moment. Im getting new tyres this week and a new shoei. The old one got wrecked when I went over the highside on my CBR!

Now Im getting into the forum a bit more Im starting to find it quite friendly, cheers for the replies and good luck with the sticker - let me know how it goes!

Old 11-06-06, 07:35 PM   #8
kwak zzr

welcome villers
Old 11-06-06, 07:37 PM   #9
Speedy
Mega Poster

No worries mate!!

I did warm the bugger up,I'm going to try some thinners on it,methinks!

Yep,I'll let you know!
Old 11-06-06, 07:42 PM   #10
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

welome

yep wd40 is good...

or paraffin...

bt unsure onthe black plastic so takeadvice from those that have removed hte very same thing