SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-07, 07:23 AM   #1
Chipstix

Default Brake light - switch? MOT req't?

Hi All,

I have my MOT today, and after I rode in to work this morning, I thought I'd do a quick check on all the bulbs. All OK, except when I push the rear brake lever, the brake light doesn't light up. Pulling the front brake lever does light it.

Does this mean a switch is gone, or could I have not been pushing the lever hard enough? I now have pretty much no time to fix it, but is there anything I can check/wiggle/tighten?!

Also, is it an MOT requirement for the brake light to be lit by the rear lever (assuming as in my case it can be lit by the front?)

Cheers, Chris

EDIT: Found this link. Looks like it is a requirement.......
http://www.motuk.com/bike/1-3.htm

Any advice welcome!

Last edited by Chipstix; 02-07-07 at 07:30 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-07-07, 07:37 AM   #2
Razor

Default Re: Brake light - switch? MOT req't?

Locate the black switch at the rear pedal, pull it and check if the light comes on. If the light works it's as simple as adjusting the switch position to get it fixed.
Old 02-07-07, 10:16 AM   #3
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Morning all.

On all bikes registered after April the 1st 1986 the brake light must work on both brakes.
It's most likely to be the switch, as they're located where the road crud gives 'em a good dosing!

Cheers.
Old 02-07-07, 11:44 AM   #4
Well Oiled

... and it's not unknown for the wire linking the brake pedal to the switch to come off at the pedal end. Happened to me.
Old 02-07-07, 12:10 PM   #5
silver surfer

I know this is slightly off the thread. But I've just re build my rear brake pedal and fitted a new front brake lever, snapped mine off when I binned it. I've tested these in the garage and the brakes seem to be working fine, but the brake light is on permenantly. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 02-07-07, 02:07 PM   #6
Chipstix

To close off my question and allow the thread to be hijacked officially....

Success!

Spring wire thingy was hanging loose, but thankfully still there! Then, verified switch OK.

I managed to hook it on, but couldn't tighten the nut. Got to testing station, by which time it had unhooked again, but nice bloke just reattached, and adjusted nut (whilst being careful not to burn on exhaust!). All good, no charge.

MOT passed. Bonza.

...all yours mate......
Old 02-07-07, 03:32 PM   #7
2mths

I had a panic a number of years ago prepping my Katana for her first MOT in a while. The brake light didn't show when I pressed the brake pedal and I just could not find the switch. In the end I found out that she didn't have one - too old - hehe. I'd been worrying over nothing.
Old 03-07-07, 11:28 AM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Silver, there is scope for adjustment on these things, take a look.

As a general point, the hydraulic switches can be very handy if you need to ditch the original - it's just a repalcement banjo bolt and works when it feels the pressure increase, never needs adjusting.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 09:34 PM   #9
walkaboutandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
I know this is slightly off the thread. But I've just re build my rear brake pedal and fitted a new front brake lever, snapped mine off when I binned it. I've tested these in the garage and the brakes seem to be working fine, but the brake light is on permenantly. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Have you checked that the front lever switch is fitted and is sitting correctly, pushing against the lever? Cos its a 'push to break' switch, meaning that when the switch is pressed the light turns off. When the lever is pulled the switch pops out and turns the light on.