SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-08-12, 05:58 PM   #21
Thunderace

Default Re: car insurance, what a nightmare!

Ring E-sure I've got 6yrs no claims I'm 29 and I've got 6 points, my 2.0 Mondeo tdci costs £450 a year and I'm a squaddie apparently we are an insurance risk, so should be cheaper for a civvies, but it does depend on the car as well.
Old 30-08-12, 05:59 PM   #22
suzukigt380paul

looks good mate.but keep away from those speed humps(sorry traffic calming measures)but as they say,whats it got under the bonnet,or is it all show and no go,sorry had to ask
Old 30-08-12, 06:00 PM   #23
tactcom7

christ my insurance for the zx-10r is £600 fully comp and thats with 5 yrs no claims.
Old 30-08-12, 06:07 PM   #24
Thunderace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactcom7 View Post
christ my insurance for the zx-10r is £600 fully comp and thats with 5 yrs no claims.
Ah well yes that's where it all falls down of course, got 4yrs nc on my bike policy and the Ace is £580 fully comp, that's with Axa btw.
Old 30-08-12, 06:11 PM   #25
Woogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
I don't have gear cover, because none of my gear is expensive. £150 lid and RST textiles. And I go TPFT because I wouldn't claim anyway, since 4 years NCB isn't worth throwing away in my opinion for an old SV. I suppose I'd regret it if I totally destroyed the bike, but then I'd probably be hospitalized.

They're just all my thoughts and assumptions anyway. We all play the game differently. For me it's all about riding on a budget and risking a little more. Plus I would do all minor to medium repairs myself. Horses for courses! Some people say "who buys TPFT these days?" well, I do. And when I add all the cars and bikes together over the years, I'd say I've saved more than the value of any one vehicle.
Lid, boots, jacket and trousers cost me £800....and I don't really have the spare cash lying around to replace the bike + all gear if I did have an off..... Next year I probably will but this year... nope...
Old 30-08-12, 06:47 PM   #26
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
that's largely why they ended up with Aviva, the saving due to some allowed NCB amounted to a pretty big sum.
tell them good luck getting aviva to give them proof of NCB when they want to move to another insurer. i have 15 years protected NCB but they were adamant that they will only give me a letter for 5 and they kept saying that i have full NCB and it doesn't matter how many years as all insurers will only be looking at full NCB which is 5 years. it took me about 8 months to finaly get them to give me written confirmation of my NCB and that took threatening them with the ombudsman.

full clean licence for 20+ years and never had an insurance claim on a car. yes my insurance is peanuts
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 07:53 PM   #27
ian505050

whats the point
ian505050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-12, 08:13 PM   #28
barwel1992

its only £1200 on my saxo vtr with no NCB and 1 years driving exp, im 20 the saxo is the same car as the 106 but the vtr is a 1.6 and the saxo's have a worse name so £800 is a joke with your ncb ect

ohh and £814 for the FZ1 comp
Old 04-09-12, 04:28 PM   #29
ClunkintheUK

No, I don't get insurance quotes either, and I spent two years building risk models (i.e. the things that run the quotes). My car renewal came in at £720 (up from £390) with 11 years experiance, no claims/points etc. got it back down to 480 by moving insurers. My SV insurance came in at 400, 4 days experiance, and not in a low risk theft area.

One thing I do know about car quotes is, it doesn't matter so much the value of the car, more the likelhood of crashing it.... into something expensive. If you drive a 106 in Kensington your insurance will be horrendous, because the bill will be over 100k for a scrape with a Bugatti or L*mbo, which they will deem likely if you are driving a 106.