SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-04-14, 12:33 PM   #1
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default New mobile time - but which network?

So here's the deal, I've been with Orange for 8 years, and up til recently always been pretty happy with their service, but the signal just recently in my office has become really poor and that's where I make most of my calls - weirdly if I go and stand about 20 foot down the corridor it is fine!

Now I'm out of contract the last 4 months, have an 2 1/2 year old Galaxy S2 so due an upgrade but no ties to any one network. Work will pay me £30 a month towards my bill.

I currently have 600 minutes a month which I never go over, unlimited texts and 1.25GB of data which I don't use up even though it's on all the time.

Is any network that much btter than Orange? I know they are basically switching everyone to EE as they upgrade.

So OMO should I go for an S5? Or an S4 if the S5 really isn't that much of an improvement? (And don't suggest an iphone as they are utter rubbish)
Old 15-04-14, 01:19 PM   #2
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: New mobile time - but which network?

If your S2 still good why not just get a one month rolling contract.
I got my S2 wet (cos motorcycle clothing don't have water proof pockets.) So now I have a Z1 (EE).
It's quite good
Old 15-04-14, 01:28 PM   #3
ophic
Mega Poster

Three do some good SIM only deals with unlimited internet. £15.90 with 600 mins + 5000 sms. 12 month contract tho.

I fell out with Orange/EE a couple of years ago and have nothing good to say about any experiences with them since. Prior to that I'd been a loyal customer for 15 years.

Is your phone locked to Orange?
Old 15-04-14, 01:44 PM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Un locking a Samsung is nice and easy.
3 has a pants coverage in Essex. And LPH does a few out in the sticks tours all over the UK
Old 15-04-14, 02:21 PM   #5
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Un locking a Samsung is nice and easy.
3 has a pants coverage in Essex. And LPH does a few out in the sticks tours all over the UK
Fair point regarding coverage.

When I still had my Orange phone, I had a Three USB internet dongle, and I used to use it on the coach twice a weekend from London to Manchester and back. Turned out that the dongle had fewer dead spots than the phone on this particular route.

Not saying that's always the case though, just that Orange is also a bit patchy in places.
Old 15-04-14, 02:47 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Orange going signal light since its amalgamation into EE...well i never.

The S2 is a good handset but will stop having its firmware updated soon as the processor wont take the next levels of Android. So maybe go up to a Galaxy S4 Mini or a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. Not one of the mega screen devices but both are powerful (Sony being latest technical stuff and waterproof) and both are available on cheapish contracts. Worth a look.

As for EE...useless bunch of muppets. You cant get EE signal in the EE store in Streatham, yet they wont admit there is an issue in Streatham (Where Mrs Viney lives and cant get signal)
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-14, 02:58 PM   #7
daveyrach

Vodafone, been with them for years and never really been out of coverage except one random spot when I was on holiday near Exmoor, I had to sit on the hotel window sill to use the phone.

They have some good deals too especially with their RED tarriffs but like you I get a 20% discount through work.

I currently have a Galaxy Note 3 which is an incredible piece of kit with Unlimited minutes and texts and 500gb of data for £31 a month.
Old 15-04-14, 03:14 PM   #8
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Coverage is such a subjective thing.
David's on orange and not had issues round our local area.
Mrs n tec is now on Tesco (O2).
This drops out in the house.
She was on Vodafone. That had lots of issues at home and in colchester. So we bought a cheap PAYG so she could keep in touch
It is a post code lottery.
Old 15-04-14, 03:24 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

The only real way to check coverage is to get a SIM from each company and give it a try. Most are free
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-14, 04:48 PM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

It is so stupid that the signal is only in my office, if I stand up and walk 15 paces it works!

I am going to give my S2 to my sister as her Blackberry has died so was thinking the S5 would be quite good as it is apparently toilet proof, and I'm not saying I'm clumsy but I have killed 2 S2s by treating them to a swim in my loo.

But the S4 and Note are getting better offers as I'm guessing everyone is now after the S5. I don't really want a mini anything, I use the phone for lots of emailing so a large screen is a definite advantage as I don't really want to get a tablet. A decent camera is also useful as although I do tend to walk around with several grand's worth of kit about my person it's always good to have a phone that can take reference shots of things.

Has anyone got an S5 yet?