SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

TOTALSV Ireland Forum for SV riders in Ireland

Old 01-07-19, 11:02 AM   #1
Chris_SVS

Default Ireland 2020

I proposed this yesterday morning half joking, but this is the rough idea anyway. I was do this trip myself earlier in year but cancelled due to weather (snow!)

Book the big dorm room here: https://www.ballyhourahostel.ie/room/14-bed-dorm-room

^ I've stayed here before with a MTB group so can vouch for how good it is, basically 4* hotel in a hostel layout. CCTV, parking,secure,drying room, kitchen,awesome shower rooms, big dog, fluffy cat etc Good Centra shop and a traditional pub or 3 within a few mins walk..

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29344333 - Ring of Kerry + Molls Gap

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29344533 - Dingle Peninsula + Conor Pass

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29350624 - Molls Gap + Healy Pass

Avoiding motorways, Limerick is around 130mi from Dublin port and 115mi or so from Rosslare port.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 04:21 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ireland 2020

I did an Ireland trip a couple of years back. If you can ride for a good few hours you can crack out a lot and enjoy the scenery.
I rode form Rosslare port (arrived on Ferry at 6am) and followed the Copper Coast/most the coastal route right to the Atlantic coast. Then road that route and round every Peninsula & stopped on the South side of the Ring Of Kerry on a Beach Front campsite. I think that was about 400 miles and did it in a day.
The next day i then went up to the Dingle Peninsula and took Conor Pass to the North side - that is a road is full of spectacular scenery. I would have carried on but time constraints on commitments meant i ended my trip there.
i'll find some photos of the trip to post up.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 04:34 PM   #3
Chris_SVS

If the NC500 taught me anything is that cramming loads of miles into a day leaves little time to take in the scenery, the trade off is obviously more days on the road/off work etc and more overnights (whichever flavour of accomodation you prefer, I don't do camping) I like working from a base though, as with Barmouth at the weekend.

I'd love pics if you have them I think the trip above is on the back burner for me until next easter again, it's better value for the holiday count
Old 01-07-19, 04:47 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

These photos aren't in any particular order, a bit mixed up between the Atlantic & Copper Coast. If you didn't know it was Ireland it would be easy to confuse with some where a lot more exotic.

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 01-07-19 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 04:54 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
If the NC500 taught me anything is that cramming loads of miles into a day leaves little time to take in the scenery, the trade off is obviously more days on the road/off work etc and more overnights (whichever flavour of accomodation you prefer, I don't do camping) I like working from a base though, as with Barmouth at the weekend.

I'd love pics if you have them I think the trip above is on the back burner for me until next easter again, it's better value for the holiday count
It's a tough call either way, as to enjoy the road /scenery is nice to ride through and stop occasionally for a photo/breather. But i found you end up stopping too much which then hinders your progress/plans. I always try to stop when there is a 'significant' change in the scenery, or a spectacular view to enjoy.

I would do it when schools are not off and it isn't a bank holiday, otherwise you will be tripping over a lot of traffic (vehicles & footfall). Plus it means the prices are usually better for accommodation and visiting places. I went in late August (mid week Weds-Friday) and the weather was still nice, roads were empty and i could do what i wanted essentially.
You need to do the Ring Of Kerry early, it gets crazy busy with Tourist coaches (which go Anti clockwise) and will be a mission to pass/deal with on some of the narrow roads around there. As does Conors Pass. Many idiots ignore the no caravans/motorhome signs and wonder why they struggle to get along the narrow road which is open to 2 way traffic!

BMW F800ST
Old 01-07-19, 05:17 PM   #6
Chris_SVS

Great pics, not raining so definitely not like Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
It's a tough call either way, as to enjoy the road /scenery is nice to ride through and stop occasionally for a photo/breather. But i found you end up stopping too much which then hinders your progress/plans. I always try to stop when there is a 'significant' change in the scenery, or a spectacular view to enjoy.

I would do it when schools are not off and it isn't a bank holiday, otherwise you will be tripping over a lot of traffic (vehicles & footfall). Plus it means the prices are usually better for accommodation and visiting places. I went in late August (mid week Weds-Friday) and the weather was still nice, roads were empty and i could do what i wanted essentially.
You need to do the Ring Of Kerry early, it gets crazy busy with Tourist coaches (which go Anti clockwise) and will be a mission to pass/deal with on some of the narrow roads around there. As does Conors Pass. Many idiots ignore the no caravans/motorhome signs and wonder why they struggle to get along the narrow road which is open to 2 way traffic!
Excellent points DJ,I dunno what to do or how to do it. There's 5 strong riding days there which I suppose could be done Thur-Mon and only cost 2 days holiday or Thur-Sun and go twice. I sailed into Cairnryan for NC500 on Good Friday which was a great idea and equally a mistake until I got towards Tyndrum, where Glencoe and beyond was relatively quieter.

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 01-07-19 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 05:39 PM   #7
DJ123
Mega Poster

I rarely book a campsite on this sort of trip, mainly because i don't know where i will stop. i might make more/less time than planned and don't want to either chase to the stop due to time constraint or get there too early and kill time. It gives you the freedom to explore where you want to go, and stop when ever you feel like it.
Most campsites will always have space for a bike & a tent for a night, as it takes up no room!
You'll be surprised how much you can ride in a day and still enjoy the scenery. My motto is get up and go; leave early and you can pace the day out. Be somewhere by 4-5pm to set up camp, then you have the evening to rest for 12 hours till the next day.

with the routes above, IMO, you're staying too far out. So every day there's a slog to/from your destination. So that bit will not be enjoyable after day 2. With those routes you could easily interlink them and cover it in 3 days quite easily whilst still enjoying the roads. Add on a day (or 1/2 a day) at each end to get there/back and its no more than 4/5 days.

BMW F800ST
Old 01-07-19, 05:45 PM   #8
Chris_SVS

Old 01-07-19, 07:38 PM   #9
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I need something like this to dream about. Major comedown after the BPW. Subscribing to this thread.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-19, 07:51 PM   #10
Chris_SVS

This will help https://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

R574 - Healy Pass

Conor Pass

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 01-07-19 at 07:59 PM.