SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-09-05, 06:16 PM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Fitting a Fenda Extenda

Hi

Gonna fit a fenda extenda to e.d's K5 tomorrow

We have decided to stick it on rather than drill holes in the mudguard

We're not sure what to use to stick it with, e.d. reckons Araldite but I am not sure if that will do the trick OK, I think araldite might not be flexible enough once its stuck and it'll break off

I am thinking of something like no more nails...

Thoughts comments appreciated

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 06:21 PM   #2
valleyboy

Bit of sandpaper to rough up the undersides.. and maybe silicone would do..
Old 02-09-05, 06:28 PM   #3
Carsick

A few people have used araldite and it's stayed put, but ideally you should use sikaflex. It's absolutely ideal for these jobs. You should be able to get a small tube from a chandlery or anywhere that does marine type equipment. A boat builders might even give you a left over tube if you ask nicely.
Old 02-09-05, 06:46 PM   #4
trick

blue tack, never fails

TRICK
Old 02-09-05, 06:48 PM   #5
ben650

there,s only one thing to use and thats "sikaflex" Once thats stuck it never move. it's about £12 a tube,fantastic stuff
Old 02-09-05, 09:38 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

I used Araldite and a year on it's still rock solid. But I did use quite a lot Sikaflex would definately be better but I couldn't find any when I did it- I think araldite's perfectly up to the task though. Tip when glueing flexible things- use several smaller blobs rather than one big blob- if you use one blob, if it starts to come away at one end it can run right across, while if you use smaller blobs that won't happen.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-05, 01:40 PM   #7
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben650
there,s only one thing to use and thats "sikaflex" Once thats stuck it never move. it's about £12 a tube,fantastic stuff
You stole my thunder... Sikaflex221 is awesome stuff You can buy smaller tubes of the stuff from car repair centres (& alike) for less than the full sleeve (kitchen silicone sealant size,) price of £12
Old 04-09-05, 12:36 AM   #8
jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
I used Araldite and a year on it's still rock solid. But I did use quite a lot Sikaflex would definately be better but I couldn't find any when I did it- I think araldite's perfectly up to the task though. Tip when glueing flexible things- use several smaller blobs rather than one big blob- if you use one blob, if it starts to come away at one end it can run right across, while if you use smaller blobs that won't happen.
Wish i'd thought of that - mines currently held in place by one massive blob. I hope it doesn't come off when i'm cranked over!
Old 04-09-05, 05:55 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

I wouldn't worry about it myself... It's more good practice than actually important
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 08:07 PM   #10
Stig

If double sided sticky tape is good enough for Blue Peter then it's good enough for me