SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-07-11, 08:37 PM   #1
sv-luke

Default Any advice? Pothole accident

Evening all. Some month's ago I had a nasty crash as a result of a line of three potholes I met going round a corner. Anyways, at the time I shelled out £400 or so on parts to get it roadworthy whilst I attempted to extract some money from the council (funnily enough, their solicitors admitted verbally that the road was improperly maintained and their claim they were fixed 1 week previous was obviously untrue). After a few months of back and forth letters with their solicitors, they agreed to pay for full repairs to be carried out. I do not have a solicitor as it's not something I can afford after paying for the repairs.

So, I had a local motorcycle shop carry out the repairs and sent a copy of their invoice along with invoices for the parts I purchased. Their solicitors reply was ''have you had the repairs carried out, if so please send the repair account''. I haven't a clue what they mean by repair account, and not does google. Any idea's folks?

Luke
Old 22-07-11, 09:15 PM   #2
The Idle Biker

Default Re: Any advice? Pothole accident

Call them and ask them what they want.
I think they just mean the invoice from the repair shop and for the parts.
It could be that they sent their letter before your invoices arrived with them and the correspondences just got out of step.

Based on what I had repaired on my car in similar circumstances I think you've done all you need to. You may just have to add that you are happy with the repairs (if you are) and that the claim can be closed.
Old 22-07-11, 09:16 PM   #3
DJFridge

I would say it was all the stuff you've already sent them tbh. Send them another copy. By the way, well done for getting anything out of a council. I hit a pothole in the car 18 months back which meant a new wheel and got nothing.
Old 12-08-11, 06:56 PM   #4
myfirstsv

A related subject:

British Gas is happily digging up most of Redditch at the moment with a 2 foot wide trench being dug smack in the middle of the lane where you would normally ride. They then fill this in with tarmac which is usually either proud of the rest of the road or has an indent. Most of the time you can avoid these, sometimes you can’t and when you hit them on your bike she gets very, very skittish. In the rain some of these would be lethal.

I wonder who you go after if you have a crash as a result…
Old 12-08-11, 07:02 PM   #5
sv-luke

It's probably not enough of a ''defect'' to succeed in a claim, as it wouldn't be a problem for a car and they couldn't care less about a biker.

Update - After a little more faff I got a cheque off them. Bring on the SV Turned out our letters had crossed, numpty here didn't check the date!

Last edited by sv-luke; 12-08-11 at 09:21 PM.
Old 14-08-11, 06:01 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstsv View Post
smack in the middle of the lane where you would normally ride.
Why would you do that?
Old 15-08-11, 12:29 AM   #7
myfirstsv

To explain:

2 lane road
Say 10' from the curb to the white line for each lane
Normal road position gives you 5' either side
Now there is a 2' wide strip of dodgy Tarmac where you would normally ride

If your ride to the left of it you have drains, dust gravel etc.
To the right you have buses, lorries, White van man
Ride on it and every time you drift 12 inches for a bend life gets very exciting...

...and possibly painful and expensive
Old 15-08-11, 01:24 AM   #8
beabert

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstsv View Post
To explain:

2 lane road
Say 10' from the curb to the white line for each lane
Normal road position gives you 5' either side
Now there is a 2' wide strip of dodgy Tarmac where you would normally ride

If your ride to the left of it you have drains, dust gravel etc.
To the right you have buses, lorries, White van man
Ride on it and every time you drift 12 inches for a bend life gets very exciting...

...and possibly painful and expensive
Where in redditch? i live on studley road. I think I've seen you pass several times, you loud exhaust beast lol. Though there is another yellow sv on here from redditch too.

Last edited by beabert; 15-08-11 at 01:27 AM.
Old 15-08-11, 08:44 AM   #9
myfirstsv

I'm in Webheath. Don't think it's my exhaust though cos it's stock.

There is / was another (darker) yellow curvy floating around Headless Cross a few weeks back. Think he had a loud can on his.