SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-08, 10:48 AM   #1
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Default 120/70 Front & Fenda Extender - Potential Issue!

I've had fitted a 120/70 front, and also still have my 'Fenda Extender' fitted.

After doing some searching, one persons opinion was that they shouldn't be used together as there's not enough clearance.
After fitting it, there isn't much clearance at all... only a few mm, but it still runs fine.

After taking it out for a few test runs on the new tyres, all seems fine, until I either:
- Go over a few small stones at slow speed, and I can hear the fenda knocking any stuck onto the tyre, off.
or
- Start braking heavily, when it makes the same noise.
After inspecting it, all seems fine - no marks on the tyre or fenda.

Has anyone else ran 70 profile tyres with the Fenda Extender, and had any long term problems?
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 11:34 AM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: 120/70 Front & Fenda Extender - Potential Issue!

Yes and no
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 11:57 AM   #3
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Yes and no
Any chance of expanding on that a little?
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Old 03-03-08, 01:14 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Why would you want to use a 120/70, only reason I can think of is it was a freebie gixxer cast-off. S model steering is slow as it is.

Remeber also that tyre's "grow" a little at high speed, just because there's clearance at standstill doesn't mean it'll be OK at a hundred and silly mph.
Old 03-03-08, 01:28 PM   #5
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_God View Post
Any chance of expanding on that a little?
Yes I ran a 70 tyre with an extender & No I never experience the tyre touching the mudguard YMMV
Old 03-03-08, 03:08 PM   #6
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Why would you want to use a 120/70, only reason I can think of is it was a freebie gixxer cast-off. S model steering is slow as it is.
Because I was getting 2 pairs of Pirelli Supercorsas for ?100 off someone on the .org who races SV's! That's more than enough reason for me!
(Also... I've never found the steering slow at all!)

Stu: Thanks!
Old 03-03-08, 03:41 PM   #7
flymo
Mega Poster

if you loosen off the front mudguard fasteners you may be able to rotate it forwards a little and gain some more clearance at the back. dont forget to fasten them back up again
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-08, 03:48 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_God View Post
Because I was getting 2 pairs of Pirelli Supercorsas for ?100 off someone on the .org who races SV's! That's more than enough reason for me!
(Also... I've never found the steering slow at all!)

Stu: Thanks!
That sounds good reason to me. What're they like? Much speedo error?
Old 03-03-08, 04:18 PM   #9
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
That sounds good reason to me. What're they like? Much speedo error?
They're brilliant! Haven't given them any serious stick yet as they're still covered in the rubber lumps that have been picked up off the track - will report back once they've all worn off.

As for the speedo, not sure yet... going to test it at some point this week with a sat. nav. to tell me the actual speed!

Cheers flymo_racer - will give that a try!
Old 03-03-08, 04:18 PM   #10
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Much speedo error?
You mean less error!

We're all agreed speedo's over read? 120*60 = 72, 120*70 = 84 so distance travelled is greater per revolution & once you get the speedo to read off the rear wheel 160 * 60 = 96 you almost get somthing that is actually correct