SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 13-01-08, 04:48 PM   #1
kitkat

Default flip front helmet

this may be jumping the gun a bit. went for interview today to become a CBT instructor. Was told I would need to get a white flip front helmet if I am successful in being selected and if I actually want to go ahead.

anyway I dont want to spend a lot of money as I dont like these helmets and think they look ugly. Plus Im a tight jock and never spend a lot of money on my helmets.

anyone got any experience with any specific brands? dont even mention Shoei lol
Old 13-01-08, 06:27 PM   #2
Biker_Billy

Default Re: flip front helmet

JamesUnhill on here has got one..cant remember the make, maybe HJC...think he loves it tho...maybe drop him a pm?

About that make which you don't want mentioned....well I was on the throne an hour ago and reading one of the bike mags (as you do) and was reading a rave review about the Multitec...the guy seemed to love it, not much heavier than standard and felt like a full face lid. Just thought I'd mention it...
HTH,

Billy.
Old 13-01-08, 09:07 PM   #3
Mr Toad

Schuberth Concept - very good, had one for several years

Caberg Justissimo - not so good in my humble opinion, but then it's a lot cheaper . . .

You pays your money and you takes your choice
Old 13-01-08, 09:18 PM   #4
grh1904

My father in law has a Caberg, think it's the Justisimo thingy, he loves it (or did until a cage pulled out in front of him and KILLED his Honda NT650 (DULLVILLE), and has now upgraded to a trip.

have a look at my signature and look at www.msgbikegear.co.uk

My mate Mick runs the company, I'm sure if you said Graeme recommended through the Sv.org website he'd do you a good deal !!!!!!!!

If it's only to do you while taking CBT lessons then all you need is something cheap but functional/safety, and my dad in laws Caberg did just that. He was off work for about 3/4 weeks with severe bruising/aches & pains (thankfully nothing more serious), but his bike was a total mess.
Old 13-01-08, 10:15 PM   #5
dissuade

Nitro do one, the F347. I have one and used it for about 3 months. It's all shades of rubbish, and heavy. The various vents are laced with about 20 different types of chickenwire, and the flip mechanism will open if you so much as look at it funny. The chin-strap is unreliable, too.

I wouldn't wish that lid upon my worst enemy. All in all, not a good buy. Steer WELL away.
Old 13-01-08, 10:18 PM   #6
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

friend of mine uses his justisimo (sp?) to commute to work, then ride around during work all day, then commute home, 6 days a week...

if i were going to get a flip front i'd get one
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-08, 11:31 AM   #7
ejohnh

I bought a HJC CL max oct 2006. Worked well but noisy. One of the visor locking springs flew away on Nov 2007. I have to replace the whole hinge mechanism on both sides. Couldn't get the bits until this month sometime so in the meantime I bought a SHOEI Multitech at the NEC. Feels a much better fit than the HJC and much quieter - cost 3X as much though
Old 14-01-08, 11:52 AM   #8
kitkat

thanks everyone. noise probably wont be an issue as ill not be doing long journeys or anything. its just if I get the job I need it as its part of uniform. most of time will be spent off bike anyway if I remember from my cbt. ill be riding a deauville. had to sit on it yesterday just to make sure I could reach the ground - could - just lol
Old 14-01-08, 03:52 PM   #9
lookskyward1

I wouldn't use anything other than a flip front lid now, they are far more versatile than a full face lid.

I had a Shoei Syncrotec and fell off my bike last April. I was not even aware of banging my head until I saw the state of the helmet, it did its job perfectly.

As a replacement I got the newer Shoei Multitec and find it is quieter, just as comfortable, with an even better peripheral view.

My son has the Caberg Justissimo GT and loves it, espercially as it has the built in dark visor. He reckons it is quieter than his last full face lid as well.
Old 14-01-08, 04:37 PM   #10
Jester666

Ive used and abused and crashed Cabergs fro a few years now both normal riding and courier work. I love 'em. The only critisism I have is that theyre heavy and the flip acts like a sail over 50mph.

The new Shark could be worth a look. the flip folds right back but the visor remains at the front IIRC.

HTH!