SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-11-09, 12:18 PM   #1
LK-SV

Default *Warning* Flip front Helmet thread.

Set my heart on a flip front helmet .... given that most of my riding is slow commuting, its seems the obvious answer ....

Searched and searched - but so much written I can't see the wood for the trees ...

Was looking at the Caberg Justissimo .... but loads of negative reviews (from what I can gather) .... then came across this Nitro ...

http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/dsShop.aspx?shopid=8

I remember reading good things about Nitro (on here) .... and its cheaper than I am prepared to spend .... but any good ??
Old 29-11-09, 12:40 PM   #2
lee67

Default Re: *Warning* Flip front Helmet thread ....

i use both a nitro full face and the better acu flip front nitro, both of which are great, very very comfy and quiet, well built but not heavy, i honestly cant fault them, and in 26 years ive had loads of helmets inc arai and shoei's....nitro gets my vote hth'
Old 29-11-09, 12:41 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

go and try a few different ones on and get the one that fits right regardless of price. if you cant afford the one that fits right then stick to the one you have or get a new full face one that does fit right.

a helmet is only as good as it fits. a bad fitting Arai is worse than a good fitting 'cheepo'.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-09, 12:42 PM   #4
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I have the Caberg Jutissimo. It is comfortable, all the internal padding is washable and the internal sun visor is good, but noise is an issue at speed. The slider button for the sun visor on both mine and my husbands snapped off this month after a year of use - though Motrax have put two new parts in the post within hours of receiving an email from me.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-09, 12:47 PM   #5
boot

Woman at work has a Nitro flip-up, she's previously only worn Arai lids, but says she tried on a Nitro at bike show and really liked it.

FYI - I've taken advice from staff in J&S and would never do so again. Also, the lid we ordered from them for my wife, turned up in the wrong size.

I don't agree with using shops to try on stuff and then go and buy online cheaper elsewhere, it's not fair play to the retailer, but this is one of the ones I will no longer have a problem doing that - they don't deserve my money and haven't earned my custom.
Old 29-11-09, 12:48 PM   #6
tanis34

i have a hjc flip not the lightest or quietist but its comfy and suits me just fine for the riding i do and it has the built in sun visor
Old 29-11-09, 12:55 PM   #7
zsv650

i have a nitro full face helmet and cant fault it tbh go for the best fitting lid you can find.
Old 29-11-09, 03:15 PM   #8
sunshine

I use Airoh helmets cheap and good fitting, I use a full face helmet in the cold winters and flip face in the summer. there comfortable light and are good in an accident i was told and tested my own a couple of times.
i find flip face are useful on group rides easier to speak with your mates and you dont have too take your lid off to talk to people when lost.
Old 29-11-09, 05:28 PM   #9
barwel1992

i use a roof boxer v and love it over any arai fits well and the field of vision is amazing
Old 29-11-09, 05:45 PM   #10
rory182

A lot of instructors / examiners have nolan flip front lids