SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-01-18, 03:26 AM   #21
Dave-the-rave

Default Re: 2005 SV650s Valve Clearance Question

I'm doing this from memory so wait until someone else chimes in to confirm what I'm saying.

Valve check procedure...

Front cylinder
F mark lined up on the rotor at TDC means front cylinder cam lobes facing up and leaning slightly outward.

Rear cylinder
R mark lined up at TDC means rear cylinder cam lobes facing up and leaning slightly inward.

To remove cams for adjustment...

F mark lined up front cylinder at TDC as before. Timing marks should line up on front cylinder. If not rotate 360 degrees to F mark and check again. Take out the front cams.

This is the counter intuitive part regarding the rear cylinder...Rotate the crank 360 degrees until the F mark shows again. The rear cylinder timing marks should now be lined up. Remove the cams.

Note.. The R mark is not used during removal or installation of the rear cylinder camshafts.
Old 06-01-18, 10:53 AM   #22
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcSV650s View Post
Finally got round to getting the shims out and going by the chart the shims go up in .05 but ive got some shims which are saying 172 and 178?

Also i TDC the rear cylinder but the sprockets dont line up where there meant to be for TDC. The crankcase shows TDC but the markings on the sprockets dont. Ive attached a picture, black marking is where the markings are and red markings is where they should be. Can i just move them round to where there meant to be or will this cause problems

(Wont let me upload picture as its jpeg)
Try copy and paste of photo into MS Word document and either 'save as' older .doc (not more recent .docx) or save as PDF (a 'save as' option in MS Word) and post, it works for me as long as file not over size limit (don't try more than a couple of photos in one file). File size shriks a lot when saved as PDF and a little bit of definition lost but not really too bad.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 09:13 PM   #23
egcSV650s

Managed to attach them as pdf's quality isnt that great but hopefully you can see
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sprockets.pdf (95.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Crankcase.pdf (98.9 KB, 0 views)
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 09:37 PM   #24
Dave-the-rave

Read my previous post.

Go back to the front cylinder and set the F timing mark on the crank until the front cylinder camshaft timing marks line up. Now rotate the crank a full 360 degrees anti clockwise until the F mark lines up again. The rear cylinder cam timing marks should now be lined up.

Ignore the R mark on the crank.
Old 07-01-18, 10:46 PM   #25
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-the-rave View Post
Read my previous post.

Go back to the front cylinder and set the F timing mark on the crank until the front cylinder camshaft timing marks line up. Now rotate the crank a full 360 degrees anti clockwise until the F mark lines up again. The rear cylinder cam timing marks should now be lined up.

Ignore the R mark on the crank.
Oh right i understand what you mean now, ill have a go at it next weekend as im away this week
Old 07-01-18, 11:29 PM   #26
Dave-the-rave

Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-01-18, 07:10 PM   #27
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-the-rave View Post
I'm doing this from memory so wait until someone else chimes in to confirm what I'm saying.

Valve check procedure...

Front cylinder
F mark lined up on the rotor at TDC means front cylinder cam lobes facing up and leaning slightly outward.

Rear cylinder
R mark lined up at TDC means rear cylinder cam lobes facing up and leaning slightly inward.

To remove cams for adjustment...

F mark lined up front cylinder at TDC as before. Timing marks should line up on front cylinder. If not rotate 360 degrees to F mark and check again. Take out the front cams.

This is the counter intuitive part regarding the rear cylinder...Rotate the crank 360 degrees until the F mark shows again. The rear cylinder timing marks should now be lined up. Remove the cams.

Note.. The R mark is not used during removal or installation of the rear cylinder camshafts.
Been wondering, how comes when adjusting and removing the cams you have to have the mark on F and not R? Does it matter if you have it on R and remove the cams?
Old 10-01-18, 10:17 PM   #28
Dave-the-rave

The timing marks on the rear cylinder cam shafts won't be properly aligned if the crank is set on the R mark, which without seeing your bike I suspect is where you are going wrong.

Don't remove the cam shafts on any cylinder if the cam timing marks arn't aligned like the books show.
They also need to be aligned as the book shows before removing or installing the cam chain tensioner.
Old 11-01-18, 07:47 AM   #29
egcSV650s

What happens if i do remove the chain tensioner and cams once its on the R mark as thats what ive done. Ive put it all exactly back where it is now though
Old 11-01-18, 12:45 PM   #30
Dave-the-rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcSV650s View Post
What happens if i do remove the chain tensioner and cams once its on the R mark as thats what ive done. Ive put it all exactly back where it is now though
I'm not sure what you mean by ''put it all back exactly where it is now''. If you have installed the rear cams incorrectly the valves will hit the piston when you spin the motor so don't spin the motor. Assuming the front cams and tensioner are all in place here's the easiest way to fix the rear without damaging anything...

Remove the rear tensioner and cams.
Turn the crank anti clockwise until F mark is lined up
Check front cam timing marks are lined up if not rotate crank 360 to F
You'll have to hold the rear cam chain up and on the sprocket by hand
when turning the crank or it can get stuck.

So now the front is on F and front cam timing marks are aligned.
Turn the crank a full 360 degrees anti clockwise back to the F mark again.
The front timing marks will now not be lined up but that's ok.
Install rear cams ensuring timing marks line up as per the book.
Install chain tensioner.
Do all of the above with both spark plugs removed.