SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-09, 05:39 PM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Bike options.

Same old question, given £5-6k(or less of course) what would you suggest.

here's the catch, I've got to fit on it, as my knee doesn't bend well it'll need a relaxed leg position, can't weight to much, once again the leg thing, engine size is pretty irrelivent, as insurance for me is peanuts, but has to also fill the gap in alround ability left by the 404 (little 400cc supermoto thing), so speed and distance are a requirement.

the nearest to a cursier I'd be happy with is this

and my heart belongs to this

and of course has to live with this

Not in the market right now, but as the T'bird is a write off and I don't know if/when I can buy it back, just exporing my options and wondering if any of you have an Idea I haven't ?

Cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-09, 05:48 PM   #2
zsv650

Default Re: Bike options.

triumph tiger or something like that maybe a vstrom just a couple that might do what you want.
Old 17-04-09, 06:01 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Before getting the T'bird I looked at the new tiger and also most of the other "adverture" type bikes everything from the Vstrom,Varadero, navigator,old tiger, even some left field things like the Africa twin and Super Tenere or TDM, although without exception they all have the relaxed leg position I was after, they were all a bit weighty and high up weight at that, and I couldn't see the point in the big engines, I may look at the middle weight versions of some of these though.

anymore ?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 17-04-09, 06:05 PM   #4
Jamiebridges123

Tiger 1050 if you can stretch to one, make sure you get the noisy can.

Uhm, failing that try a Fazer or something, or a New Speed/street triple.. hey maybe even a new XJ6 or Divvy for the price, like sub £5k + extras?
Old 17-04-09, 06:07 PM   #5
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Versys?

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-09, 06:08 PM   #6
zsv650

street triple maybe go on everyone else has.
Old 17-04-09, 11:54 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

If I remember right, you tried a tiger and didn't get on with it, right?

When I was waiting for my knee to come back I tried a couple of things, one which worked nicely for me was the TDM900, it wasn't really much more relaxed than most of the big trailies but somehow it felt better. But not light and it carries the weight quite high too, that worried me a bit (I just planned to get engine bars and let it fall over a lot, if it came to that). I love these bikes though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-09, 12:57 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
Tiger 1050 if you can stretch to one, make sure you get the noisy can.

Uhm, failing that try a Fazer or something, or a New Speed/street triple.. hey maybe even a new XJ6 or Divvy for the price, like sub £5k + extras?
Asaid tried the new tiger, not really for me, Fazer , possibly worth a look, Speed triple, not to keen on the new model or the one before it, the 97-01 design was outstanding, but then that's probably why I had 6, if I could ride one, then the one I currently have would be it ( and of course no need for this thread), street triple (see below), New xj600 might be worth d test ride, hadn't though of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post
Versys?
To be honest it's a bit of a minger to my eye, but the ER6n isn't to bad, another possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
street triple maybe go on everyone else has.
been spoilt really after 7 full fat triples It's a bit flat aand revy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
If I remember right, you tried a tiger and didn't get on with it, right?

When I was waiting for my knee to come back I tried a couple of things, one which worked nicely for me was the TDM900, it wasn't really much more relaxed than most of the big trailies but somehow it felt better. But not light and it carries the weight quite high too, that worried me a bit (I just planned to get engine bars and let it fall over a lot, if it came to that). I love these bikes though.
Yeah tried the tiger, also a TDM 850 & 900, it's a possible, but once again can't see any advantage over the modern middle weights ?

dependent on leg room of course, the gladius/shiva/hornet/fazer or even 650 bandit are the obvious one's , but I'm sure there are more.

anyone got any really info on these ( leg room, riding position, distance ability) ?

GSR 600
GSX650F
XL700 Trans alp
ER-6N (the new one)
monster 696

or going abit older

ZRX 1200
zr 750
cb900 hornet

Cheers Mark.

Last edited by rictus01; 18-04-09 at 01:50 AM.
Old 18-04-09, 06:20 AM   #9
Dicky Ticker

Honda Dullsville----see loads of really nice ones about in that price bracket,
A bit of everything and not much of anything,but cumfy and relaxed.
Old 18-04-09, 06:25 AM   #10
Dicky Ticker

Honda Dullsville----see loads of really nice ones about in that price bracket,
A bit of everything and not much of anything.

Knowing you like to play with things why not a naked SV with the
"Rictus Touch" Light and nippy enough plus cheap so plenty of scope to fit improvement mods
£3500 low mileage+ £1000 of upgrades