SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-07-16, 05:01 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Clutch cable on curvy.

Recently had a clutch cable give up when the nipple came off the lever end of the cable.

One of the things with which I have always had an issue has been the length of the cable, both the overall length and the length of the inner compared to the outer. Overall I have always thought the whole cable is too long and the radius too large on the solid conduit section at the top of the cable. I've also always found the inner cable to be too long compared to the outer.

This has all meant that the cable rubs against the edge of the instrument panel and that no matter how many times I try and reset the whole clutch actuation train (cable, clutch actuator, screw and locknut adjustment) almost all my cable adjustment is taken up right from first fitment of the cable. I will just add that it's not a process to which I am new. I've been pulling apart, rebuilding, and generally tinkering with bikes for well over 40 years so I do have form in the area!

While I was casting about in my garage for some means of effecting a temporary fix until I could get a new cable I came across the clutch cable for my old 400 gixer. When I looked at it I found that the nipples at either end were exactly the same as the SV cable, and the cable was just short of the length of the SV's.

When I fitted it (after some copious lubing with a silicone based lubricant) I discovered it was a perfect fit. The conduit section was shorter and more of a radiussed right angle and the relationship between inner and out cable length was such that I still have 2/3 of my adjustment available to me. The bonus is that without that great big curve of cable almost doubling back on itself the clutch is incredibly light and responsive.

If anyone else wants to try this the next time they need a new cable for their curvy, the cable I used was from a 1986 GSXR400GK71F. They are still fairly readily available. Here's one from Wemoto - http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/g..._slinky_glide/
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-16, 06:58 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch cable on curvy.

Good tip, it's often worth looking around for parts from 'cousins'. I used to use Suzuki GSX550 clutch cables on my Kawasaki GT550, the fit was good, but they were much heavier and lasted better.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote