SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-05-19, 06:29 PM   #21
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: MOT tyres pass or fail

The Avon Storm X-mS are dual compound, a bargain at £140 a pair. I had Maxxis on a previous bike and not particularly impressed, I think seeker also posted in another thread that you get 9mm depth of tread on the Avons. I will definitely be getting Avons this year.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 06:45 PM   #22
Chris_SVS

One thing I've noticed is I get a lot more heat in the Avons than I did any Bridgestone or Metzeler over the years. I was commuting on them and throwing it into corners on wet days cold without so much as a squirm..

I don't recommend this, it's just how it was
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 07:08 PM   #23
SV650rules
Mega Poster

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r...es-are-legal-/

Article in motorcycle news about tread for MOT test.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 06:47 AM   #24
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Whatever tyres are fitted it's of paramount importance that the pressures and condition are checked regularly.My 99 has slightly awkward length valves so I always have one of these handy to make it easier,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-90-D...frcectupt=true

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 13-05-19 at 06:48 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 10:01 AM   #25
Scittyf

Those tyres look borked. I wouldn't be happy about riding on those at all.

I'm actually thinking of replacing mine simply because I want something stickier. They are metzlers on at the moment but I want something very sticky. Not bothered about tyre wear. Rather have something sticky. Can anyone recommend a tyre?

If cash is a problem you could probably buy a spare set of wheels cheaper with ok tyres for MOT.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 03:38 PM   #26
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scittyf View Post

I'm actually thinking of replacing mine simply because I want something stickier. They are metzlers on at the moment but I want something very sticky.

What Metzelers have you got fitted?

I feel similar about the PR4s I have fitted. They're ok, but not quite what I was expecting after all the rave reviews and recommendations. They're ok in the wet and ok (but not amazing) in the dry, so I guess they're a compromise to be ok all round. They feel a bit wooden and lacking feedback. Previous tyres I've had that have been better in the dry have been awful in the wet. Stickiness often depends on having a good amount of heat in them, so cold wet winter roads aren't great for any tyre.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 06:15 PM   #27
Scittyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
What Metzelers have you got fitted?

I feel similar about the PR4s
They are metz sportec m3. Like you I feel very much the same. I think who ever had the bike previous didn't skimp but equally important not sure they got out that much. I also don't know how old the rubber is. I also think given the size of the chicken strips on the tyres they only travelled in straight lines when they did venture out.
Old 13-05-19, 07:00 PM   #28
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I don't have a huge experience of a wide range of motorcycle tyres, but I have used loads of different bicycle tyres over the years, and although it's a very different thing, grip on a road bicycle has always been a main concern too, especially in the wet, cold winter. I've always found Continental bicycle tyres to be the stickiest available, particularly anything with their Black Chilli compound. I think they use that in some motorcycle tyres too. The downside is that they wear out quite quickly and are not cheap. RRP of £55 for a bicycle tyre!!? I've always felt that they make the best bicycle tyres because of the huge amount of research and development they must do for car tyres, whereas other bicycle tyre manufacturers only make bicycle tyres, so probably don't spend as much developing them.

Interestingly Pirelli have recently started making bicycle tyres. I haven't tried them, but kind of lost faith in Pirelli when I fitted some of their tyres to a car I used to have and skidded and lost traction more than any other tyre I've ever had. Some people really rate their motorcycle tyres though.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 07:08 PM   #29
yokohama

Metzeler M7rr seem to get a good press. They are a sport tyre but I don't know how sticky you want. Dunlop Q3s also.
If you plan to use the bike for occasional track days, fair enough but for general street use, you won't get much mileage out of them.
I had Bridgestone B20s, which lasted just over 3000 miles. Grip was fine (but they tended to track tar snakes and road cracks) though I prefer more mileage. Just ordered a set of Pirelli Angel GT II.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 07:23 PM   #30
Scittyf

I don't commute using the motorbike. Only for fun. So if tyres only last 3k that will be fine with me. I don't need to make any compromises any more in regards to wear.
Also I'll only really use it in the dry. Again the car gets used for commuting.

I've done my fair amount of commuting on a motorbike in my teens and early twenties. So I don't have to now.