SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-05-19, 04:28 PM   #1
aesmith

Default Wheel Bearings - sealed or what?

Hi,

I'm due to replace the front wheel bearings on my SV650. What are the panel's thoughts about the best exact bearing type? On my old bike the bearings had a metal shield on the outside only, but had actually failed due to corrosion from the inside. The shield in that case simple meant it was impossible to check or regrease them. Most kits seem to have rubber seals.

I was wondering if it would make sense either to use open bearings, or maybe with seal only on one side but fitted with the seal on the inside. The idea being that the r/h bearings on front and back both have a separate external seal anyway. Fitted like that they could regreased as needed, and the separate oil seal is cheap and easy to replace.

Anyone tried different variations?

Thanks, Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-19, 06:26 AM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Wheel Bearings - sealed or what?

Last bearings I changed were sealed both sides. Happy enough with that
Chris_SVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-19, 07:49 AM   #3
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Since around at least 1980 most Motorcycles have used 2RS bearings.This stands for 2 sided sealed.They are not motorcycle specific and are in fact industrial engineering bearings.

Only buy them from a trusted source as there are FAKES around.

As for brands Koyo/NTN/All Balls/SKF are a common good brands I've used.

I wouldn't use open bearings any more.

HTH
Old 22-05-19, 09:13 AM   #4
aesmith

All those on my K6 had metal shield on one side only. I'm going to guess those were original fitment as they were all the same, and I bought the bike with only 16,000 miles on the clock so it's unlikely that they'd all been changed by a former owner.

According to my notes the front bearings are 6203, rear 6204 and sprocket carrier 6305. With appropriate suffix for seals or shields. Seals are 22X40X7 front, rear 28x47x7 and sprocket 35X62X8.

Where do you get yours? I've used "simplybearings.co.uk" in the past.
Old 22-05-19, 09:14 AM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
All those on my K6 had metal shield on one side only. I'm going to guess those were original fitment as they were all the same, and I bought the bike with only 16,000 miles on the clock so it's unlikely that they'd all been changed by a former owner.

According to my notes the front bearings are 6203, rear 6204 and sprocket carrier 6305. With appropriate suffix for seals or shields. Seals are 22X40X7 front, rear 28x47x7 and sprocket 35X62X8.

Where do you get yours? I've used "simplybearings.co.uk" in the past.
Yep.I've had some from them.Never had a problem with them

I don't think it matters which type are used so long as they are a Quality brand.I suspect off-roaders the sealed type would be better overall.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 22-05-19 at 09:26 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-19, 11:43 AM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://www.engineerstudent.co.uk/bea...explained.html

I would use 2RS every time, the metal seal ones Z or ZZ ( which leave a slight gap between edge of seal and inner race where dust and water can get in ) are for higher speed / low torque operation ( in a fairly clean environment ) because they have a lower friction than the RS type. But a slight extra friction of proper waterproof seals on the low speed motorcycle wheel bearing is neither here nor there.

We used to buy our bearings from RS for industrial applications - they have pretty much all the popular makes as well as RS-Pro which are pretty good quality. You can filter for ID and OD etc. assume the SV wheel bearings are deep groove ball bearings same as fitted to most cars now that the much better taper roller bearings have gone 'out of fashion' ( on grounds of cheapness of ball bearings and slightly higher friction of taper roller).

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/pneum...359,4294829470

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-05-19 at 12:10 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-19, 07:43 AM   #7
aesmith

Update, I fitted SKF -2RS bearings yesterday and noticed a couple of things. As with the old bike the original bearings had seals only on the outside, open to the inside. Although in this case there didn't seem to be any corrosion or contamination on the inside so no harm caused this time. Secondly with the original bearings the spacer was noticeably loose, I guess that would be why the bearings were failing. I'm not quite sure whether that would have put incorrect side load on both, or just the right hand bearing.

Finally and unexpectedly the brakes are much improved, firmer feel and less lever travel. I assume the bearings were allowing a little runout on the discs meaning the pads were retracting more than they should. That's a bonus because I had been slightly bugged by the excess lever travel, it wasn't "bad" but not quite how it should be.

Last edited by aesmith; 27-05-19 at 12:26 PM.
Old 27-05-19, 10:35 AM   #8
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Finally and unexpectedly the brakes are much improved, firmer feel and less lever travel. I assume the bearings were allowing a little runout on the discs meaning the pads were retracting more than they should. That's a bonus because I had been slightly bugged by the excess lever travel, it wasn't "bad" but not quite how it should be.
That's an interesting observation. Never thought about it but obvious really when you do. Worth bearing in mind.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-19, 12:07 PM   #9
aesmith

I suppose it's another reminder to me that fixing known faults can sometimes clear mysterious symptoms. Had the same on the old bike, a mysterious sort of creak/click which I spent ages trying to track down. That disappeared when the front wheel bearings were replaced .. and I still don't know what was actually making the noise.
Old 27-05-19, 12:15 PM   #10
Othen

This was a good article - very useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk