SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 16-05-09, 07:01 PM   #1
markryker

Post Police bike check

Got stopped today in Ruthin town centre, doing 20 mph so i know im doing nothing wrong, on come the blue lights and siren, attracting all and sundry out doing the shopping!..."hello sir, just checking all bikes over the weekend for safety reasons"
First copper looks straight down the exhaust and i think, here we go (no baffle), does not say a thing, checks tyres, number plate, while the other is on the phone to the pnc. "All in order sir" and gives me a sheet saying i been checked, with todays date to show to any other Police who decide to stop me today too.
15 minutes later im on my way, not sure if im happy to get away with no baffle etc, or angry at being targeted just for riding a bike?
Renthal streetfighter bars, Carbon can co exhaust, tail tidy, seat cowl, rear hugger, front mud thingy, hel braided lines, clear indicator lenses,fairing lowers, crash bungs, k&N air filter, chewys mirror extenders
markryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-09, 07:05 PM   #2
Frank

Default Re: Police bike check

Id be totally ****ed off
Old 16-05-09, 07:11 PM   #3
CarlosSV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by markryker View Post
Got stopped today in Ruthin town centre, doing 20 mph so i know im doing nothing wrong, on come the blue lights and siren, attracting all and sundry out doing the shopping!..."hello sir, just checking all bikes over the weekend for safety reasons"
First copper looks straight down the exhaust and i think, here we go (no baffle), does not say a thing, checks tyres, number plate, while the other is on the phone to the pnc. "All in order sir" and gives me a sheet saying i been checked, with todays date to show to any other Police who decide to stop me today too.
15 minutes later im on my way, not sure if im happy to get away with no baffle etc, or angry at being targeted just for riding a bike?

You think they would have had somethin better to do !

What is the need ???

****in *******s !
Old 16-05-09, 07:19 PM   #4
abdul.aziz

I been stopped a few times, not on the bike but with the car.

Just be happy i suppose, if they really wanted to be nasty i'm sure they could find some tiny defect of some sort on most vehicles and do you for that. But if they allow you to get on with youtr journey its not so bad.
Old 16-05-09, 07:19 PM   #5
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-09, 07:21 PM   #6
skeetly

http://www.pepipoo.com/Law_Practice.htm
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-09, 07:31 PM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Well they can check your insurance, tax, and driving licence (assuming ridden by owner) from your plate without stopping you, they can also have a rough idea how legal the bike is with a quick look without stopping you.
The Police are supposed to have reasonable suspicion before stopping you, so if they've used that sole fact that you are on a bike I would be incensed if they stopped me like that
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-09, 07:51 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Think I read somewhere that there is some kind of European wide road safety intiative going on at the mo.

This probably counts as a tick in the box
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-09, 08:13 PM   #9
Baph

On the commute I used to have (Anglesey to Denbigh), I often went down the A55, and could get stopped 2-3 times a week for spot checks.

That went on for a couple of months, and I think almost every officer stopped me, so they decided they wouldn't bother again as they never saw anything wrong. I think part of that was that I always kept all the receipts they hand out, and they looked pretty sheepish when I produced them to show how many times I'd been stopped that month alone etc.

That's with a small plate & no baffle.

I just saw it as an occupational hazard, commuting past 3 different divisional HQ's.
Old 16-05-09, 08:45 PM   #10
GazandKatie

I wouldnt worry about it to be honest.

A Police Officer can stop any motor vehicle on a road at any time under the Road Traffic Act. They will usually check You and the Vehicle out on the PNC and if all is in order send you on your way.

If you had just had your bike nicked of your drive whilst you nipped back in the house for your wallet you would have been well impressed that the Police stopped the bike fives minutes later for no other reason that because they can lol.

Theres plenty of decent cops out there and plenty of ar$e$ too, so be grateful you didn't get a ticket, I know plenty that would have as they love doing bikers.