SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-12-11, 01:18 PM   #1
shao

Default Replacing the SV - is there anything better?

I'm looking to replace my dying SV and I'm after a few suggestions on bikes I should be getting out and test riding, because currently I'm leaning towards just buying another SV - it's such a great bike I'm not convinced I can find anything I'll like more but replacing like-for-like is just no fun...
I ride around 10k miles a year, probably ~60% city riding, 20% motorway/dual carriageway and 20% b-road blasting - given the proportion of that that's city riding I'm reluctant to get anything much heavier than the SV, which is a pretty hard criteria to meet, so I might have to compromise there. I'm currently looking at the Fazer8, the speed or street triple, the Sprint ST, the VFR750 (weight's the only thing putting me off that one) - price isn't all that important, I'll spend more if convinced I'll get my money's worth. Also going to get out and try a gsxr600, but I intend on doing some reasonably long-distance touring next year so not sure a full-on sports bike would work out for me.
I'd prefer half faired, like the SVS, but there's very little like that out there as far as I can tell. Any other suggestions for bikes I should be testing/considering, or thoughts on the ones above, from an SV rider's perspective? Or is the SV simply the best thing out there, given how much I love the V-twin grunt/torque, throw-ability and the fact that pristine-condition used ones can be had for <£2500?
Old 09-12-11, 01:25 PM   #2
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Replacing the SV - is there anything better?

After I bought my second SV I always regretted not trying a TL1000 for size.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 01:56 PM   #3
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

You could look at its closest competitor and have a try on an Kawasaki ER6F, I know a few people who have them and love them, I prefer the look of the naked version.

If you don't need a fairing have a look at the Triumph Street 675 but thats just me, I'm biased, its not that practical for touring but its light very easy to ride. Having said that I've done 600 miles over a couple of days two up and both of us got back to the house wanting to get on and go out and do some more miles.

The older 600 sports bikes aren't really any more uncomfortable to tour on than the SV. I found my GSX-R600 K3 a better bike to tour on as it was smoother and happier to sit at high speeds. They of course don't have that v twin grunt but OMG you will fall in love with that top end scream.

The best thing you can do is go out and try as many different bikes as you can, you may surprise yourself and get something unexpected.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 02:12 PM   #4
mister c
Mega Poster

I have fallen in love with Triumphs now after hating mine 12 months ago. They sound awesome, are really smooth, are fairly frugal on the juice (if you ride like a grandad like me) & go like Sh** off a shovel.
I have thought of other bikes like the Aprillia Shiver & the ER6, so could be worth a look.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 02:19 PM   #5
NTECUK
Mega Poster

The ER is V nice try one .
Old 09-12-11, 03:50 PM   #6
SUPERSTARDJ01

There are lots of bikes better than the SV650 TBH they really arn't that great once you have ridden something else, more refined and better built, the SV is cheap and cheerful, try a street/speed or even an SV1000? Try some more bikes and you will see the SV feels slow and very cheap/vibbey.
Old 09-12-11, 03:59 PM   #7
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
You could look at its closest competitor and have a try on an Kawasaki ER6F, I know a few people who have them and love them, I prefer the look of the naked version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
I have thought of other bikes like the Aprillia Shiver & the ER6, so could be worth a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
The ER is V nice try one .
The ER6 compaired to the SV is no contest. The SV is by far the better bike. More powerful, better handling, better suspension, better brakes. If you are looking for something better than a SV the ER6 is not where you should be looking.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 03:59 PM   #8
Webber

I've gone from my sv650s to a z750r and have really fallen for it. As much as i miss the v-twin grunt the top end of an IL4 is just sooo much fun. Although not as good at higher speeds due to it being a naked, but that just keeps speed sub 100 for the most part which is never a bad thing. On the weight side of things, its really not noticeable exsept when picking up after crashing

In comparison to the ER6f as mention, a friend has one and the seating position is far more upright and doesn't appear to handle as well as the sv650 but have never rode it more then just around a car park.
Old 09-12-11, 04:06 PM   #9
hardhat_harry

Street Triple
Old 09-12-11, 04:25 PM   #10
Owenski

Rather than asking "is there anything better?" ask "Those who no longer own an SV, would you look to buy another in the future"

If people look to return to something after sampling the competition, then that best displays its suitability.

I for one look forward to once again owning an SV although I'd be tempted to go naked next time.