SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-03-17, 09:54 AM   #1
macamxthe1st

Default Bar risers to a L7

Had 20mm risers fitted yesterday. The standard clutch cable is not long enough to accommodate this change so we fitted a clutch cable from a dl650. This cable has a little too much length but by running it round the right hand side of the ignition barrel we lost the extra. The only slight issue if one is really picky is that the cable very slightly obstructs access to the ignition switch but it is very slight indeed. This may be useful to anyone considering doing the same.

Geoff.

P.S. also had the Suzuki rack and top box fitted, good but be aware that the fitment of the rack requires sections to be cut from the bodywork.

Last edited by macamxthe1st; 21-03-17 at 10:11 AM.
Old 21-03-17, 12:20 PM   #2
Stilo

Default Re: Bar risers to a L7

Did you use the standard throttle cables?
Old 21-03-17, 01:37 PM   #3
macamxthe1st

Yes everything else was absolutely fine. Afterwards rode 140 miles home and noticed a significant improvement in comfort. I also have an MRA screen fitted and this also went back on without a problem.

Geoff.
Old 21-03-17, 10:55 PM   #4
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamxthe1st View Post
P.S. also had the Suzuki rack and top box fitted, good but be aware that the fitment of the rack requires sections to be cut from the bodywork.
I was very disappointed when I found this out after opening the box...
If I had ordered it through my dealer then I would have got them to fit it.
But they tried to steer me towards the much more expensive Ventura system I didn't like or want so in a huff I got the Suzuki one mail order instead.
Now I'm going to have to fit it myself and I hope I'm able to make a neat job of cutting the side panels...

Also, the nicer looking Givi M8B ally plate doesn't fit so I'm now waiting on an E251 universal Monokey plate and will only fit the rack once I confirm the E251 plate will fit on the rack.

The Suzuki rack is a neat yet sturdy one piece job and not a pair of arms linked by the plate.

If you could post some pictures of it fitted showing the cut sections where the mounts pass through it would be very much appreciated
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 08:35 AM   #5
macamxthe1st

I will do some photo's with pleasure, but not today as bike is covered up and we are under 6" of snow (and its still falling). We were also somewhat disappointed when we opened up the box in the workshop. Totally taken aback when we first saw the rack, beautifully made but seems to be way over engineered. The technician and I spent quite some time with the instructions with regard to the templates for the panel cut outs and when happy he very skilfully used a disc cutter to remove the required sections. What was amusing was that in the time it had taken us to get to this point another technician had started and finished the fitting of a top box to a 1250FA. The fitting of the rack is very straightforward but the removal, cutting and refitting of the bodywork is a right royal pain. Had I been aware of the fitting procedure and the robustness (read weight) of the rack I probably would not have bothered but ask me in six months time and I will probably say that I could not live without the convenience that it affords.

Geoff.
Old 22-03-17, 10:44 AM   #6
Talking Heads

I found the rear seat too small to bungee my bag of work kit onto and the provision of decent bungee points woefully lacking so a rack has become a necessity for me.
The Suzuki one is easily the best looking of the available options imo.
Old 22-03-17, 10:54 AM   #7
macamxthe1st

Another point probably worth a mention is that the Suzuki rack will work along with a "tail tidy". I did enquire with regard to the Givi option but was told that it was not compatible with said tail tidy.

Geoff.
Old 22-03-17, 02:18 PM   #8
tom_e

I wouldn't be happy having to take chunks out of my bodywork to fit a rack especially not an OEM one what happens if you want to remove it, are you left with massive holes?
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 07:30 PM   #9
Talking Heads

The holes would be very obvious, if the rack was removed you would have to replace the side panels.

My Givi E251 universal Monokey plate arrived today and the mount holes on the grid align perfectly.