SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 15-08-06, 04:45 PM   #1
Dan_SV

Default Some bits I stumbled across in the shed...

Well not quite....

Can't wait to ride it now, but im left with a rear wheel bearing and sprocket carrier bearing to replace. No way of getting them til earliest 17th as it's Japanese Obon Holiday, and nowhere is open- ****. That's the reason for the slight rust on the disks - it's been on stilts since the 12th!

I do know however that the brakes are the dogs, 1 finger enough for most situations, with two being able to chirp the front, or bring the rear wheel up to whatever height you desire (or are brave enough to try).

Want to see if all this fuss about lightweight wheels is true!

Picked em up cheap with fooked bearings- Marvic Penta's in Magnesium- but almost brand new Pilot sports. Excrement! The past owner had mullered the front mudguard with brake fluid and clumsiness, (cracks and paint stains), So I treated the old girl to one of Harris's finest carbon muddy's. Took long enough to get made, and the postage was fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... you get the idea to Japan, but you live and learn. Should have left it till I got back to England. Nev mind.
Got a matching hugger for the back to keep the Ohlins fresh.

Just dying here waiting for the bearing stockists to open on the 17th.... AAAAAAAAAAH!

But I love it - It's my baby! Still got my other baby in England for the interim period whilst the gix is on the boatee.

I'll cry when I sell the SV. Blub.

Dan.
Old 15-08-06, 05:10 PM   #2
falc

Very nice look, huge brembos as well, Im not surprised at the stopping power of those boys. Got any more pics of the beast?
Old 15-08-06, 05:28 PM   #3
Dan_SV

I have a few other older piccies of the bike before the brakes and other bits and bobs.

The brembo's are awesome. One of the best bits of money I've ever spent on a bike. Brake set-up is as follows:

Nissin Racing 19mm radial pump master cyl, goodridge lines, brembo 4 pad calipers, Sunstar Racing Slotted discs. Yum.

They make a lovely "wiping" sound when you gently come to a stop too!

Think white wheels might be a bitch with brake dust and chain lube fling, but the paintjob isn't decided yet, so will have to do some thinking.

Don't you have a 600 SRAD Falc?

Dan.
Old 15-08-06, 05:52 PM   #4
Skip
Mega Poster

Sweet Dan - thats one trick ride you have there!
Old 15-08-06, 08:53 PM   #5
K

Yeah yeah yeah, brakes schmakes...

... but that is a lovely bit of carbon sexyness there.

Been thinking of a Xmas pressie for the Blue 'Blade of Carbon front mudguard and rear hugger.
Is it a standard thing for Harris or was it made to order?
Old 16-08-06, 05:14 AM   #6
Dan_SV

Depends on what blade you have K, check to see if they make one on the website www.harris-performance.com, and go from there. I think they will do custom work, but don't quote me on it. Giv em a call tho!

Cheers Skip, the next bike was going to be an R6, and when I came to Japan I picked this up, and promptly fell in love with it. I thought - why spend the extra pennies on a completely standard R6, when I can have an awesome Gixxer!

Hows the Z working out for you?

Gagging to scoot round a track or few on this one! :P

Dan.
Old 16-08-06, 07:35 AM   #7
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_SV
Cheers Skip, the next bike was going to be an R6, and when I came to Japan I picked this up, and promptly fell in love with it. I thought - why spend the extra pennies on a completely standard R6, when I can have an awesome Gixxer!

Hows the Z working out for you?

Gagging to scoot round a track or few on this one! :P

Dan.
The Z is working out superb - I do still miss the SV but the extra ponies and wind protection (and dare I say the IL4-ness) have won me over It handles brilliantly too - suspension is a bit "budget" feeling so that needs sorting but other than that its a fantastic bike!
Old 16-08-06, 07:41 AM   #8
rwoodcock01

Very, very nice.

Rich
Old 18-08-06, 03:49 PM   #9
Dan_SV

And in the attic I found some other bits to complete the puzzle:

Only trouble with white wheels, is that, well they don't stay white for one. Good job the used look works for me then I guess. Not one of these prissy types who is going to let a chain go to waste not lubing it "so my wheels dont get dirty".

The project is getting there now. As ever there are more things to do.

Want to junk the hyrdraulic preload adjuster off the Ohlins, as it is wank, and has hardly any scale of adjustment. Also if you bin it on a trackday and it gets torn off, your suspension settings go bye bye (not that i plan to do this). It also adds weight, and mine has compliance in it, as air is inside it (i'm assuming), so not ideal for set-up. Apparently you can bleed the adjuster, but this is a PITA for even suspension technicians, so I think i'm just gunna junk it for a blingy and functional Cnc'd traxxion dynamics collar.

Next job will be sending the forks off to K-tech (or maxton maybe- but k-tech are local) and getting them to put in some new boingy bits, and squeezy bits to suit my idiocy.

After that, I'm going to try to scheme a power commander for it, then get it mapped at straightline for the pipe and filter.

Then cosmetics time, a painjob which is undecided (no problem as it will be a while), Some proper carbon mirrors (will get in japan- super high quality), carbon air ducts which are real carbon, and have all the lugs in place- unlike my suzuki ones! and an undertray and screen, ooh and some smaller winkers.

Wanna get the performance sorted first though - Tis definitely getting there!

Dan.

EDIT: Forgive me oh lord of SRAD, for not wearing my hump in public.
Old 18-08-06, 04:40 PM   #10
Skip
Mega Poster

- that is looking soooo sweet! Good job mate!