SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-10-08, 07:44 PM   #1
mustnt grumble

Default New K8 rattle

My K8 Sport is just about run in and since new has had a rather annoying rattle which comes from the front of the engine. I don't think it's mechanical-in fact it sounds like wire mesh vibrating which makes me think it might be the radiator cover or possibly the fairing lower.

i mentioned it to the dealer on the first service but he said that everything seemed normal. It's very loud to the point of being intrusive and I was hoping it would stop as everything loosened up during run-in but it's as bad as ever. I'm reluctant to take a spanner to all the fasteners as I don't know the torgue settings and was wondering if this was a common problem?
Old 10-10-08, 07:46 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: New K8 rattle

I've said it once, I'll say it again, it's under warranty. Take it back & complain again that you don't think it's right.

My K6 has never had a rattle since new.
Old 10-10-08, 08:12 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

Baph is right; if your not convinced, demand it checked. It may just be one of those noises that seems like something is wrong but really nothing is.

Or it could be something about to go terminal. You don't know, we don't know, but the dealer might find something and then know.

Could you take it to another place? Independant garage or something? Let a more experianced friend take it for a ride and see if they can hear anything?

Can I ask, is it an engine rpm related noise i.e. is it a noise that occurs at a particular rpm (or rpm range), does it get louder with rpm, or does it not really matter what the engine speed is?

Matt
Old 10-10-08, 08:39 PM   #4
mustnt grumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Baph is right; if your not convinced, demand it checked. It may just be one of those noises that seems like something is wrong but really nothing is.

Or it could be something about to go terminal. You don't know, we don't know, but the dealer might find something and then know.

Could you take it to another place? Independant garage or something? Let a more experianced friend take it for a ride and see if they can hear anything?

Can I ask, is it an engine rpm related noise i.e. is it a noise that occurs at a particular rpm (or rpm range), does it get louder with rpm, or does it not really matter what the engine speed is?

Matt
It doesn't happen when I rev the engine in neutral, only when moving after about 3,000 rpm.
Old 10-10-08, 08:43 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Does the frequency of the rattle increase with road speed or engine speed. Or does it stay static ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-08, 08:50 PM   #6
mustnt grumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Does the frequency of the rattle increase with road speed or engine speed. Or does it stay static ?
It increases in line with revs. I'm convinced it's simply something loose which is vibrating but it's impossible to tie it down because it only does it on the move.
Old 10-10-08, 09:17 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

What sort of state is your chain in ?

Old 10-10-08, 09:22 PM   #8
mustnt grumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
What sort of state is your chain in ?
Less than 1,000 miles with a scottoiler so it's as good as new. The noise is definitely coming from the front of the engine. As I said, it sounds like wire mesh vibrating so my suspicion is either the radiator cover or the grill on the oil cooler.
Old 10-10-08, 09:26 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I've heard of tight spots on a chain making noises like you describe which is why I asked, might be worth just double checking the tension just to make sure.

It could just be a rattle camchain tensioner. But I'm not 100% sure. If it were me I'd take it back to the dealer and get them to have another look at it. Its still under warranty...

Old 10-10-08, 09:39 PM   #10
sinbad

No need for a tool to check if those (cooler covers) are loose.

Odd that it would increase not with road speed, but with rpm, although not at a standstill. It rules out a lot of things.

Still, if I were you I'd have a good poke round. Get your manual (or Haynes) out, lift the tank (easy), have a look at stuff, see if anything's obviously amiss. If it still does it when you put it all back together, you'll at least know it's probably not something trivial when you take it back to the dealererer.